9 hours into Butt over Brisket Cook

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a 9-10 lb butt over an 11 lb brisket. Put them on last night at 9:45 p.m.. Just took a reading, the butt is 172, the brisket is 168. The pressure is on. People are counting on me not to have a dry brisket. Temps were averaging 225. I just put brisket on top and butt on bottom rack for easier access to brisket. I am very concerned about not screwing this up because I have to bring my bbq, the main course, to a birthday party. The brisket is not yet fork tender. This is only my 3rd brisket cook. Brisket is far less forgiving than butt. I know I'm going for 185 internal temp on the brisket. Can anyone tell me how long I have to maintain the internal temp at 185. Please advise. Mike

I'd rely more on fork tender than 185.

Internal brisket temps can be all over the place on a single reading. But at 185 in the flat, you should be getting close.

I don't understand maintaining 185. When it's fork tender, pull it and wrap it for resting. You can hold it in a cooler for several hours, but it may still want to continue to cook while in the cooler.

If a long hold time is needed, pull the brisket when there is a teeny bit of resistance left when inserting a probe into the thickest part of the flat (the feel of a probe is more reliable than a fork IMO).

Good luck

Craig, Thanks. I noticed that the point was more tender than the flat and the point registered higher temps than the flat - 195. The point also is more fork tender than the flat. Does that mean that I overcooked or undercooked the flat? Mike

No, not at all.

There is so much fat in the point...and the type of muscle there is different too.

Judge the brisket by the flat...you can't overcook the point. Again wait until the flat feels fork tender, temp readings won't necessarily be accurate in judging tender in a brisket.

If the flat is not fork tender, then at this point it would be undercooked.

Fortunately, the brisket came out great. Thanks for the great tip...I'll have to remember that for the next time. Fork tender at the flat means it's cooked. Thanks again. Mike

Back