85 Genesis 3 Restore

BarakPatterson

Hi everyone,

Not the best at writing post, but pretty proud of my first restore. Which wouldn't even had been a thing if I hadn't stumbled across this forum and saw all of the awesome restore jobs you guys have done. So thank you all for the inspiration!

First day with my $10 grill
IMG_20201030_111053.jpg

The moment I realized how much work I was getting myself into!
20201126_191746.jpg

The old tub was just too bad, but I was lucky enough to find a donor for $20
IMG_20201030_112528.jpg

Cleaning this was easily the hardest part and I was glad to be done with it.
IMG_20201031_155845.jpg

My makeshift paint and assembly shop
20201102_142505.jpg

First glimpse of the finish line!
20201102_150313.jpg

After cleaning the valves, thanks to Chris Allingham's video and finally receiving the correct burners from Amazon. We have 🔥🔥🔥!
20201113_192934.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Barak and a great find for a restoration. Looks like you did a great job. She’s a beauty!

Nice work! Looks great. I have a low ID # 1985 Gen 2 waiting restoration. Mine is a chocolate top. I don't have the original wood it was a hack job which it looks like wood flooring was used to replace the original wood.
One thing I can't find is the length of the boards on the flip up shelf. I would appreciate it if you could measure yours and post the length.
Thanks Rich

Nice work! Looks great. I have a low ID # 1985 Gen 2 waiting restoration. Mine is a chocolate top. I don't have the original wood it was a hack job which it looks like wood flooring was used to replace the original wood.
One thing I can't find is the length of the boards on the flip up shelf. I would appreciate it if you could measure yours and post the length.
Thanks Rich
They're right at 19"

Late to the party. Beautiful grill and outstanding work! It is great to see one of these very first Genesis grills brought back to its original glory. While I personally like GrillGrates, I think with a 13-bar box is better served with quality cast iron or stainless grates, and you got the best stainless available👍.

Back