8 pound pork issue going on now

Yianni

TVWBB Fan
good morning,I have an 8 pound butt going from 4 am.it's 945 now.I have an arc set at 225 but it's been at 250 most of the night. My guests arecoming at 8 and am planning to steam tray it for sliders.

I figured the earliest it would have been done was 5 and I could just foil and cooler it.

What if this thing his the 190s way earlier? thanks and happy new year

first of all, reset the position of your thermo and check the temps again to make sure. If it's in a hunk of fat it will be wrong temp for the meat.

Yianni

If it comes off to early to store it in the cooler, pull it and throw it in the fridge and reheat with a bit of apple juice before your guests arrive. It will be fine.

Les Stubby

Thanks guys, I reset the probe still reading 160 but I'm assuming it needs some time to cool down. Plus the nugget is very solid feeling not anywhere near falling apart like my last one.

I took the atc off and just have one vent open a crack. Going to let this get down to 200 then maybe put the atc back. Foiled pan btw.

Got a crock pot??? Just pull it and put it in the crock pot for a few hours on warm or low. If not a warm oven at 140*F will keep it warm as well.

I think I hit my stall at 167. Looks like I may be ok..thanks everyone I'm prepared for anything now!

I have had this same thing happen...hits about 150's fairly quick then literally plateau's from 160 to 180's for hours and hours and hours.....
You should be fine for dinner tonight

You will likely hang at the plateau of 160-70 for quite a while. Don't worry at all about going to 190, it just helps render the fat. Also, when they're done, wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler surrounded by insulation - I use newspaper. Then at 7 you can release and pull.

You guys are right stalled forever in the 160s finally crawling this last hour ..up to 176.. Stirred to coals a bit and added about 10 unlit..Hooooome stretch...

Made a sweet vinegar sauce and a spicy one...bought 3 packs of kings hawaiian rolls to soak it up..

Happy new year !

Back