8 lb. Brisket Flat ... How Long to cook ??

G

Hi All
icon_smile.gif

I purchased an 8lb. brisket flat @ Cosco.

I've read soooooo much (in the tutorials and on the forums) about how to smoke a brisket ... my head is spinning!! I'm <STRIKE>totally</STRIKE> confused now.

How long should I smoke it? When should I foil it?

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!

Cooking time will depend on the thickness. Cook with the fat cap down and figure on anywhere from 1 hr to 1.5 hrs per lb. When i do flats which is most of the time i like to foil when the internal temp reaches 170. At that point put the fat cap up. Cook till internal temp of 185-188 pull off and rest in a cooler for a min of 1 hr. 2 - 4 hrs would be better.
icon_smile.gif

time will vary - as will when to foil. Some don't foil at all and seem to have great results. On flats, I foil.

A very rough idea would be 1-1.5 hours per pound wihtout any foil. However, it could go faster or slower... The key is taking it off when it is done. And for that, I'd really recommend using a thermometer - not time as the guide.

If you are going to foil (which I definitely do on flats) I personally do so at 165 or so. If you do that, your cook will be shorter because once it is in foil, it cooks much faster - even at the same smoker temp.

With foil, your cook will likely take around 8 hours. For me, I'd plan on around putting it on the smoker around 12 hours from the time you want to eat. My flats usually go like this (with the smoker in the 230 range). Smoke for 4-6 hours until 165. Foil until 185-190 - about 2 more hours. Then rest with the fatty side up, wrapped in layers of foil in a warm cooler for 2-4 hours.

Thanks so very, very much for your replies.
icon_smile.gif

This page is gettin' printed!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back