$70 off Thermoworks Smoke X2 or Smoke X4 plus 10% stackable code for email list subscribers

Footnote to the above: there are 2 independent Smoke series thermometers available, the original Smoke, and the Smoke X. The Smoke X series is not compatible with the Smoke Gateway. The Smoke Gateway is used with the original Smoke series but not with the Smoke X. The original Smoke + Smoke Gateway can be used with the ThermoWorks app and can store data to the cloud.

1699912843962.png

nothing against the SMOKE line, but why not just buy a Signals and not have this wart to carry and walk around with? Signals is all wifi and super reliable. you can watch it from anywhere, especially if you're broadcasting via the self-publishing link. and it comes to your phone (apple or droid).

again, no issues against SMOKE, but the Signals does it all in an elegant solution. carry on. i don't want to incite a riot or flames here.

nothing against the SMOKE line, but why not just buy a Signals and not have this wart to carry and walk around with? Signals is all wifi and super reliable. you can watch it from anywhere, especially if you're broadcasting via the self-publishing link. and it comes to your phone (apple or droid).

again, no issues against SMOKE, but the Signals does it all in an elegant solution. carry on. i don't want to incite a riot or flames here.

The signals is a very cool piece of kit, however I wanted a dedicated remote vs another app on my phone.

For me, a remote with a loud, audible alarm that can wake me up if needed and did not depend on Wifi, or any other electric power was more important than the features that were available on the signals.

The signals is a very cool piece of kit, however I wanted a dedicated remote vs another app on my phone.

For me, a remote with a loud, audible alarm that can wake me up if needed and did not depend on Wifi, or any other electric power was more important than the features that were available on the signals.
of note, the alarm that plays on your phone is VERY loud and adjustable when you set the alarm in Signals.

yes, wifi is needed, but i've never had any issues. i've had my Signals alarm warn me when grocery shopping (pre-set to a lower limit so as to know to head home in time). i'd say Signals is totally ready for primetime.

again, not inciting a SMOKE vs SIGNALS war. just offering up comparative features.

Last edited:
@Brett-EDH I'm not perceiving your questions/comments in that way. The TW Signals has superior features over the Smoke X. The main advantage of the smoke X4 is a dedicated remote that does not need wifi or bluetooth and will run for days (weeks?) on the batteries it has removing the need for electricity.

when I bought the Smoke X4 PG&E was regularly shutting off power due to fire danger, or just some other random outage and I wanted less technology for this use.

@Brett-EDH I'm not perceiving your questions/comments in that way. The TW Signals has superior features over the Smoke X. The main advantage of the smoke X4 is a dedicated remote that does not need wifi or bluetooth and will run for days (weeks?) on the batteries it has removing the need for electricity.

when I bought the Smoke X4 PG&E was regularly shutting off power due to fire danger, or just some other random outage and I wanted less technology for this use.
me guess me spoiled with SMUD. fully understood. very logical solution.

I am fortunate enough to have both, and having the Signals is more convenient (vs Smoke + Smoke Gateway). The Smoke and Smoke Gateway have replaceable batteries that last a very long time...I can't remember the last time I replaced them. I like that I can use the Smoke with or without the app.

The only criticisms I have of the Signals is that it requires a 12v charging source (included with purchase, of course), and while it has a USB-C connector, it will not charge off of a 5v cell phone charger. I intend to buy another 12v charger this holiday season as a backup. The other criticism is that you are tethered to the app, but seemingly 99.9% of the population carry a cell phone at all times anyway, so that is a non-problem for most.

I do use them both. The Smoke I can just grab and go, the Signals for when I want to collect data. Not that I can't just grab and go with the Signals, too, of course, but the Smoke is my go-to.

I have the Smoke x4 and like it.'Im sure if I had the Signal I'd like that to.

For me it's the simplicity of just looking at the main and the satellite units, no phone needed.

Data (and cash) are King, but between the Smoke and Billows I'm all set.

I have several Smoke X4 units. This is a great price on a great product for anyone who needs or wants one.

Regarding Smoke X vs Signals, why not both? 😂

I bought the Smoke X4 first, not wanting to be tied to an app or a rechargeable battery. I used it a bunch, and added additional units via sales.

I eventually added a Signals, mainly because I can make changes using the app without having to be at the unit. It uses the same app as my Node units that I monitor the refrigerators with so everything’s in one place.

If I had to do it over again, I’d probably just have gotten multiple Signals units instead, but I don’t envision an alternate reality where I don’t buy at least one Smoke X4.

This looks like a great replacement for my old Maverick 732. I don't need another app or wifi capability. Seems a bit unnecessary for my style of cooking. Is there a Thermoworks link that gets TVWBB a commission?

This looks like a great replacement for my old Maverick 732. I don't need another app or wifi capability.

I have both the original smoke ( two probe) and a smoke X4.

If you only need two probes, and are not running a billows, then the original smoke on sale is an even better bargain. I've seen them nearing $50 USD, with one meat and one ambient probe.

TBH, I like the simplicity of the smoke over the smoke X4 and I use it often for small cooks where I only need one meat probe.

I bought the smoke simply because I am not one of the 99.9% of the people who carry their smart phone everywhere they go. I also won't go anywhere if I have live fire in any grill at my home.
The smoke 2 channel was a nice upgrade from my mavericks, the remote is small enough I can put it in my pocket if I'm doing something else around the house.

I have both the original smoke ( two probe) and a smoke X4.

If you only need two probes, and are not running a billows, then the original smoke on sale is an even better bargain. I've seen them nearing $50 USD, with one meat and one ambient probe.

TBH, I like the simplicity of the smoke over the smoke X4 and I use it often for small cooks where I only need one meat probe.
I agree. There is just too many wires with a 4-probe setup if you have to move things around.

You can make arguments for both systems (dedicated remote vs cell phone app), and it is a luxury to have both. I bought the Smoke in 2014 after becoming frustrated with replacing probes at $10 - $20 each with the Redi-Chek/Maverick ET-73.

1700086681109.png

I've only replaced one ThermoWorks probe since 2014.

Back