7 years and time for a clean up

BobW

TVWBB Fan
So the first Genny I did was back in 2014 I think. Every couple years I sand and redcoat the wood parts with a coat of marine varnish, but as I got to that this year I thought why not just pull it all down and freshen it up? After doing so many others, and using SS hardware, it’s just an afternoon project. I don’t hang out here as much as I used to ( the Mrs says there are way to many grills out back of my shop) but just wanted to re flash a pic of my personal rig As I clean it up. This is one heck of a cooker. Hope it outlasts me28B08327-E260-4F5B-A91A-8719F13CDBDE.jpeg

Yah, that is nice. I see you have one of those condiment baskets on the right that normally come on the Skyline grills. Where did you score that?

I redid my 93 Genesis 1000 three years ago and it is in need of makeover. Still cooks grate but is showing some real neglect on the outside.

I have a skyline out behind the shop that I kinda parted out (future project) I took that basket and the sliding shelf support for this rig as those are some features I like.

Sweet! I too like the Skyline touch.

The contrast of the Rustoleum Satin on firebox and Rustoleum Ultra on the lid go well with the Green Head. If that is the paint you used.

Last edited:
It is Sam. Ilke it too thanks!

Bruce, the lid on the Skyline is faded a bit but I think I could bring it back with some 0000 and spray nine. The frame is toast so I have 2 doner frames to canabalze. The 13 bar models are a bit more investment as well so it’s kinda sat waiting for some good grates And a set of bars. I’m planning to put it together for a family member once I’ve got everything.

Not bad for 24years old. Only thing I had to replace this time out was the igniter as the collector box was toast. Didn’t do much inside besides a little scraping of the bars and the inside of the hood. Its well seasoned, and I’ll be cooking on it today so I didn’t see much sense in breaking out the cup brush. 3 SS Performers, a silver B, Silver A, and a Skyline waiting in the wings but had to get the personal cooker spruced up for the season first

I am guessing that is cedar for the wood. It has a really cool grain pattern and color. What kind of finish did you use on it?

Great rebuild.

Thanks Bruce. I’ve got a hardwood guy in town. He hooks me up with cedar deck planks. I have to rip them to size but the price is right. It’s an exterior Spar Urethane. Ultimate Spar by Varathane. Really works for me. This cooker stays uncovered in the sun and elements. I have to touch them up with a palm sander and a few fresh coats every couple years.

Will be nice to see another Skyline back in the game.
The good thing about the Skyline restore Bruce is the durawood is in great shape so the handle and tables are piece o cake. Just need to do frame work. The typical firebox bolt side, and on this one...the front firebox rail has cancer bad. So some cutting and patching are in order. I have some frames to cut up for patches so Just waiting on another doner with good grates. The manifold on the Skyline is looking questionable as well The support arms are rusted quite badly. To the point that when I used some rust remover, there is really not a whole lot of metal left. The lady I got it from said they had it at their beach house for quite some time so that may explain the more than usual rust. I got it a couple years ago for $20 so dont have too must invested, just waiting on some curbfinds to get the parts needed.

Last edited:
I am guessing that is cedar for the wood. It has a really cool grain pattern and color. What kind of finish did you use on it?

Great rebuild.
yah know Bruce...that grain pattern really is exaggerated in the picture. the color differences are not that prominent in the natural lighting

What is the pecking order on the lid colors? In rarity from obscure to common I'd say Blue-Green-Red-Black? In desirability, I'd have swapped green and red until I saw this example. Well kept! Skylines and platinums excluded for this question.

Back