7 pound brisket flat question

Tony C.

TVWBB Wizard
i have always done the select packers from walmart and was never really impressed. after not being able to track down a choice packer, i got a 7 pound choice flat from sam's. having never done a flat i am wondering what the time frame looks like in the 230-250 range. i'll be doing butts overnight saturday night and spares monday. just trying to figure out if i want to put the flat under the butts sunday morning or start it with the spares monday morning. if it can get done in the 6 hours it usually takes the spares on my WSM that would be grand. i plan to wolfe bold the brisket and wolfe original both of the pork products
icon_biggrin.gif

The last flat I cooked took around 8 hours at 275ish just to get to 180, then I foiled it for an hour or so, best I recall anyway.

I'm averaging no more than 1 hour per pound smoking between 240 to 250 ish. I never foil until I remove it from the smoker at 180 internal. My briskets are the most tender, juice briskets I've had. Can't go wrong with a brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i have always done the select packers from walmart and was never really impressed. after not being able to track down a choice packer, i got a 7 pound choice flat from sam's. having never done a flat i am wondering what the time frame looks like in the 230-250 range. i'll be doing butts overnight saturday night and spares monday. just trying to figure out if i want to put the flat under the butts sunday morning or start it with the spares monday morning. if it can get done in the 6 hours it usually takes the spares on my WSM that would be grand. i plan to wolfe bold the brisket and wolfe original both of the pork products
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony you're looking at between 7-10 hours (foiling at 165º) for a 7lb flat at those temps, but probably closer to 8-8.5 hours. My briskets typically hit 'tender' around 190º-195º (could be sooner or later). Load the brisket up with WRB...rub it liberally and let the meat leach to create a wet base in the fridge and then rub it again right when you put it on the smoker... you should end up with great bark and an abundant amount of flavorful foil juices....you may even want to do a shot of it!
icon_eek.gif

I just did an 8lb choice flat from Costco. It took almost as long as a packer at "low&slow" temps of 225-250ish -- over 10 hours.

i ended up smoking it at 275ish for 5 hours and then putting it in the oven foiled at 300 for 3 hours yesterday. i let it rest on the counter foiled for 1 hour before slicing, and it turned out fantastic. tender and juicy. 1st time i ever finished anything in the oven, but i had to get some ABT's and spare trimmings on for today's greenbeans.

Back