7 lb. picnic, no pan.

Milt DuCharme

TVWBB Fan
Cooked a 7 lb. picnic roast yesterday with Royal Oak lump charcoal, four chunks of hickory, no rub, and no water pan. Used a minion start and ended up with the bottom vents barely cracked open and the top vent open one third to maintain a dome temperature of 250 degrees. Not sure if necessary but I flipped the meat at three, six, and 9 hours. After eleven hours internal temperature of the roast was 200 degrees. Removed the meat from the WSM, foiled and rested for two hours before pulling. The meat was tender and juicy with good bark and smoke ring. I had removed the skin and external fat before starting the cook. Taste is different, but cannot say if better or worse than with pan.
Prior to starting the cook I had lined the charcoal bowl below the grate with aluminum foil and when I removed the ashes there was some fat sticking to the foil. I also noticed a thicker and greasier build up on the inside of the lid. I will try this method with spare ribs and then decide if I will continue to use it.

Cooked spare ribs this weekend without the pan. Results similar to the shoulder cook. Shorter time and different taste. My family has decided they prefer the taste of cooking with the pan so that is the method I will stay with.

Back