600 Mile Meat Transport

Phil Warren

For the last 48 hours I have been prepping,cooking, and storing brisket and PP for a wedding this coming weekend. I have 30 lbs of PP and 20 lbs of brisket that is vacuum packed and frozen right now.

I have a few questions about transporting the meat because the wedding is in Albuquerque and I am in Wichita. We are leaving on Wednesday evening and breaking the trip up into two days(young children). I have a 7-day cooler that the meat will ride in during the trip. We will not be serving the food till Saturday evening, so here are my questions:

Should I use dry, regular, or a combination of ice in the cooler? Daytime temperatures are going to be in the 80s and 90s and the cooler is going to be in the back of a truck.

Would it be best to keep the meat frozen up till the time we are going to serve or allow the meat to defrost before hand?

I would think you would be fine with just ice. The meat just needs to stay below 40° between now the the time you begin reheating to be safe.
IMHO

I agree with Greg. That cooler should be able to handle the Texas and New Mexico Sun just fine. Just for peace of mind You might put a thermometer in the cooler to confirm the temp when you get to Albuquerque.

Enjoy the trip.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

As long is everything is below ice you should be fine. If you cover the ice chest(s) with a sleeping bag, that will add to the insulation to keep it cold.

Letting it defrost in the ice might be best. I don't think trying to keep it frozen is necessary.

Should work just fine. Remember that the less empty space you have in the cooler the better. Also since the meat is sealed I would put it under the ice since the bottom of the cooler will be the coldest spot. I would guess at it will still be frozen when you get there.

Mike

Back