6 Slabs of Spares, 14 bone in breasts and 8 Leg Quarters

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, it's my little boy's birthday Tommarrow (1/23) and I am cooking 6 slabs of spare on my WSM. I have 14 Bone-in breasts and 8 Leg quarters to cook as well. I will be cooking the chicken in my 22 1/2" performer and my 22 1/2" kettle. i am cooking for about 25 people, so i should have leftovers.

The ultimate question is, what rub for the Spares. I usually use the BRITU on babys and sometimes spares, and have been known to use the dry and texas rubs as well. i was wondering if anyone has a hit recipe they want to share..or should I say SPARE!!!!

Happy Birthday to your boy.
I like this rub but might I suggest (since you have six slabs and a bunch of people) that you do three rubs on two slabs each? You could vary the sweet/heat/spice/herb ratios.

Hey, happy birthday to yer kiddo,

If you have any pepper jelly (say apple, cherry, pineapple), that's a great way to finish 'em...!

This rub is from Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's, from the competition rib recipe that he gives out. I've been using it for ribs for the last few months, and have been very pleased with it.

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon cumin

To see the entire recipe for Chris's Competition Ribs, see the Food Channel and just substitute "smoker" for "oven", remembering that he's using babybacks instead of spares.

Happy birthday to young Master Goins!

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Wow that was a lot of food!!!!

Nothing like having to put sauce on meat and chicken on 3 different grills!!!

Oh yeah and stir the beans!!!

(I think i need a bigger house!!!)

Back