5lb Boston Butt, how long?

k graber

I have 2 5lb bone in boston butts that I am going to smoke this weekend.

I've heard 1.5 hours per pound. So 8 hours? I have people coming over at 3 tomorrow so I'm thinking of putting them on at 6AM? Thoughts?

If you are smoking in the 225-250 range, IMO, allow 2 hours per pound. May not need that much, but if you do better to have it available than not. Just for a reference, I did one 8 lb bone-in butt Wednesday. I started at 5 AM and it was done around 7 PM. I let it rest for about 3/4 hour and my wife and I ate, fridging the left over part. So allow for some extra time and avoid problems later. If done earlier, you can always rest longer than I did.

6am would be pushing it for me. You could bump up the temps to 275 and probably be OK, but if it were me I'd either get them on at 4am or do an overnighter and let them sit in a cooler for a while when finished.
I like to have most everything finished and cleaned up before my guests arrive...then I can sit down and enjoy a cold beverage and relax.

Averages anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours per pound. (cooking at 250-275'F)
Internal temp hits 185'F - 205'F it's done.
Wrap tightly in foil then place in closed dry cooler with towels covering foiled butt.
Can stay in closed cooler as long as four hours and STILL be <span class="ev_code_RED">hot</span> when you pull.

Back