50/50 Chuck brisket burgers

I saved the piece of the flat from my brisket to make some Brett brisket burger later.(y):) As usual your cook looks great.
Thanks. Served these on Costco ciabatta rolls with some lightly sautéd white onions, sliced dill pickles, thin sliced red onions, homemade spread, arugula and a slice of bacon. They were dripping good. And a coors light to wash it all down.

No pics as company arrived as I got this all off the grill. Craving is satisfied.

Looking forward to your cook. Post pics if you remember.

I absolutely love BBQ burgers and those are killing me. Nicely done 👍🏻
Thanks, Chuck. These were darn good. We joked over dinner how now restaurants are serving up fresh, blended burgers like we make. And I’ll admit I ate two of them because they were so good. So a 12 oz burger at a restaurant would have to be $20-$24. So for 5 of us to eat this meal out would have been over $100 plus drinks.

I froze 8# of mostly brisket point with a little flat still attached and 2.5# of chuck which I froze as slices to easily run through the grinder next time.

I think I spent $50-60 on all the meats at Costco and still have meals ahead of us to enjoy.

You’ll let me know when you’re coming up this way. We’ll cook off some burgers for you if you’d like. Or we can do it this spring at the new place.

Looks good Brett.

Do you weigh the lean meat and fat out, or just eyeball it?
The Chuck were two steaks in the pack and I used the larger piece and weighed it. It was 2-5#. Chuck naturally is around 70/30 as a rule of thumb. I also visually choose a chuck the looks 70/30 so I can keep my ratios. Some chucks are leaner or fattier, naturally.

The flat was a visual cut to get to 2.5# of combined meat. I did not weight the flat separated from beef and fat. Flats usually run around. 80/20 to 85/15 depending on the size of the fat cap. I did have to trim and discard some of the flat fat as it gummed up the grinder. Brisket can do this sometimes.

So the flat was eyeballed, not physically measured. I’d put these burgers at 75/25 or 80/20 when assembled pre cook ratios.

Overall, they were cooked 3 minutes per side, with bottom vent opened at 40% so as to not carbonize the charring cook phase. This way I was able to stay longer on direct fire and not serve hockey pucks.

The burgers sat on indirect for 5 minutes. Burgers were probing 150-155° for doneness. A nice temp for cooked through and juiciness. Literally, the juices were running across my fingers as I ate mine. Had to wash my hands in between each burger as they were quite covered in goodness. The pup did get a few licks of my hand in though. I wasn’t giving him his own burger due to using Montreal on them. Too much salt for the pup to eat.

Last edited:
Those look fantastic Brett, love a good burger. Especially like your selection of toppings. I've done a mix of point and chuck and really liked it. We were going to grill last night but when it hit 27 degrees it was left over turkey instead. :(

Those look fantastic Brett, love a good burger. Especially like your selection of toppings. I've done a mix of point and chuck and really liked it. We were going to grill last night but when it hit 27 degrees it was left over turkey instead. :(
We’re approaching 50° outside which is usually my limit. I did buy some pants to grill in this year if it’s too cold and we want grilled food.

I convinced my oldest son to take some of the leftover turkey. Now I can make a turkey noodle soup with what’s left and be done with it.

And yes, 27° is waaay too cold to grill in. Smart choice and a good one I’m sure.

We’re approaching 50° outside which is usually my limit. I did buy some pants to grill in this year if it’s too cold and we want grilled food.

I convinced my oldest son to take some of the leftover turkey. Now I can make a turkey noodle soup with what’s left and be done with it.

And yes, 27° is waaay too cold to grill in. Smart choice and a good one I’m sure.
Brett, Funny you are making Turkey noodle soup. Here's our dinner tonight with another night in the 20s

Creamy Turkey Noodle Soup

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, cubed
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 cup uncooked kluski or other egg noodles
2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; sauté carrot and celery until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth, cream and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
Stir in noodles. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until noodles are al dente, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients; cook and stir until turkey is heated through and cheese is melted.

Brett, Funny you are making Turkey noodle soup. Here's our dinner tonight with another night in the 20s

Creamy Turkey Noodle Soup

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, cubed
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 cup uncooked kluski or other egg noodles
2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; sauté carrot and celery until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth, cream and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
Stir in noodles. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until noodles are al dente, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients; cook and stir until turkey is heated through and cheese is melted.
thanks for that share. we make a similar "creamy" soup but use russet potatoes and then smash them once cooked as the thickener as we tend to avoid rich, dairy/cream, based soups. I boiled up the turkey carcasses on Friday as the stock base so we'll use that instead of chicken stock. and adding some mushrooms (baby bellas) and mushroom powder (ground dried ****ake mushrooms from the Asian grocer) gives the soup a little more umami flavor. this way i'll have some lunch too for this week.

I saved the piece of the flat from my brisket to make some Brett brisket burger later.(y):) As usual your cook looks great.
I have 8# of mostly point leftover from this buy. Note, I asked my Costco butcher if they had a Choice 12# in the back as they were only displaying Prime briskets at $3.99#. Ask and you shall receive. This Choice one was $2.99# and i got the size I wanted. I am looking forward to making this point and minor flat that's still attached to it. Just need an "occasion" to fire it up. And some hungry people to eat it.

Back