5 pound tank at Menards

Seems a bit dear, doesn’t it? $45-53 sounds like a heck of a lot for the “convenience factor”. I’m sure they sell plenty of them, not for me, thanks.

Yah, they charge a premium for them. It would be nice to have one, but then you are limited to just refills. No exchanges.
I have been casually looking for one one CL and FB MP over the last couple years and had a couple near hits, but they just don't pop up often and if the price is decent, they disappear quick. People seem to know what they have if they have one laying around.

I mainly wanted one for my camper like Bobby. I got tired of dragging a big 20lb tank along for my Q100, so I plumbed in a quick connect tap on my trailer off the main tank.

Oh Sure. Definitely a better deal than 1lb tanks. Plus, you don't have to worry so much about running out in the middle of a cook and keep swapping the disposable cylinders. The 5lb tanks are a great size. Just hard to get them for a decent price. $45 is just too high for my cheap blood. I figure sooner or later I will find one on CL or FB MP for scrap or a $10 bill. I expect a whole lot of them wind up in the landfills.

I have a couple of 5lb tanks that I use for camping. They also sell 11lb tanks and 30lb tanks here at our local Canadian Tire and Walmarts.

Those 5lbers are coveted by people restoring the 1st generation stainless steel Performer "SSP" that was designed to use them. Getting a certified one that can be re-filled is one of the major stumbling blocks to restoring those Performers. They much more resemble a classic Genesis grill with solid steel frame vs. the much less robust newer Performers. On the other hand, they are kind of big and heavy.

I usually only costs about $10 -$15 to have one recertified. If I could find a curb alert or a cheap one, I would probably jump on it and have it recertified if needed.

Bruce,
A lot of the ones on SS Performers have the old quick-style connector. Since there isn't the "trade it in at Lowes" or other cylinder exchange option for these smaller tanks, it makes them pretty useless. I suppose a propane company could change that out, too, but I think by then you might as well buy the new one at Menards.

Last edited:
Menards is the only place I have even seen selling them. But at that price,
I don't look for them much either. If I buy a SSP it MUST have that tank, or
be dirt cheap without. They are simply to hard to come by otherwise.

Yah, changing out the connector and getting it recertified is too much.
If you really want one and can't find them local, you might try an RV store in your area. Amazon has them, but they are over $50.

Need to mention that i never seen these for sale in Atlanta, much less new. Have never seen them at HD or Lowes or Ace here.
You can get them at Ace, just special order. The Ace I used to work at in Alpharetta used to keep one in stock and it sat there for years, unsold. I'm sure once they sold it they decided to no longer stock it and clutter up shelf space.

Back