5 Hours into Reknowned Mr Brown and Meat Getting Close to 190

MarkG-ATL

Hey y'all- I am 5 hours into the cook and the temp from the 10 lb bone-in butt is approaching 180 and the boneless butt is getting close to 170. Seems like this is cooking much quicker than I anticipated (and I've told people to be prepared for meat at 6pm- 10 hours from now). Is this normal and should I be taking any precautions? The smoker has been running between 230-245 at the lid. Thanks!

When was the last time you checked your lid thermometer for accuracy? Drop your cooking temp to 220 it will slow things down a bit for you.When they are done foil them and put them in a hot cooler and stuff with newspaper or towels. someone mentioned using hot towels from the dryer the other day to lengthen the hold time.

Yes you are for sure cooking hotter than what your gauge is reading. As Bob noted, lower your temp. I would go 200-220. Check your temp at the top vent with another thermo.

I think the wingnut on the cheap Weber therm is there for a reason. Use it, and it will shorten the time needed to convince you the gauge isn't worth a ****.

Hang a therm in the vent next time unless you only use a small portion of your cooker's grate. If so, then measure there, but away from the outside edge and the meat.

It'll be fine, though. A long rest will soften the bark some, but if needed, you can chop it up and mix back in the meat.

Thanks All- Looks like I was running about 20 degrees hotter than the lid thermo indicated. I am now running between 200-220 (still fiddling with it), and the meat temps have stabilized.

Some of the best advice I got from this site was to calibrate my lid therm. Just do the boiling water/chopstick method to see what your therm registers and you'll know what you should actually be expecting. Totally saved me on my first smoke. Mine was 25 degrees cool vs real temp (a huge difference as far as I'm concerned).

Back