4 Slabs of Spares on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieson S

TVWBB Fan
Well, this is the first time I have fired up the WSM (other than wings for Super Bowl, and a turkey around Thanksgiving) since I moved into my new place in October. So I guess I should say this is the first time I have cooked SWINE on her since October. Think total weight was around 22lbs and that was for full slabs. Had the nice folks at Peoria Packing here in Chicago trim the tips off and crack the chine bone on those (if you have never been to Peoria Packing and live in Chicago, you are missing out). I am usually a rib roller but today I grabbed 2 Char-Broil rib racks at Home depot for $8 each. Cut the slabs in half and tried out all 5 of my new rubs I grabbed from Hawgeyes.com (and the donated rub from The BBQ Shack, thanks again). Each of the 4 slabs has:
Robert's Dixie Dust
The BBQ Shack Rub
Smokin' Guns BBQ Rub Mild
Texas Rib Rangers Mild
And the tips were all done with:
Bonesmokers Big Time BBQ Rub
First off the rib racks are great. They have main slots to hold 3 portions each but if you bend those a bit there is plenty of room for more. I have one on each rack and slid some tips in the end slots and also leaned some up against. Seems to be plenty of space for airflow and all 4 slabs and trimming fit easily. Also seems to be much easier than rolled, though we'll see how final product turns out. Can't wait, what a great way to enjoy a beautiful Friday off here in the city, and a Cubs victory later this eve /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Oh I also am about 5 hours into the 8-hour cook of Alton Brown's dutch oven baked bean recipe. If anyone is interested they smell great so far, though a double batch has tested the size limit of my 5 Qt dutch oven /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Here's that recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13881,00.html
Also, I grabbed a concrete composite fireproof sheet meant to go under a grill/chimnea at Home depot to prevent and heat damage from my WSM on my treated deck (seemed heat turned the waterproofing treated wood a dark brown color). Was $30 (had $4 mail in rebate) and hold WSM and the lid body next to it no problem. Great for wood deck users, and though expensive better than deductible for a deck fire or grease stains).
Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday and their PBR's as much as me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back