4 Pork Butts on WSM 22"

MarkG-ATL

Hey y'all- I am cueing 4 pork butts this weekend on the WSM 22. This is my 2nd time doing the boneless butts from Costco, and remembered the last time that the butts on the top grate cooked faster. Given that I only have 2 probes, is it safe to assume that the top grate always cooks faster? My thought is that I would move the 2 from the bottom grate up to the top grate, once I pull the top two.

If you use water in the water pan then the top grate is usually hotter, and if you use ceramic or empty water pan, the bottom grate is usually hotter.

Thanks Dave! What if I used sand? I am doing my cook at a festival (which means transporting the smoker) and the clean-up factor has me favoring sand.

Sand is like using a ceramic heat sink. Once it comes up to ambient temperature it will radiate heat which makes the bottom grate slightly hotter.

Just how big are these butts, I ask because I can fit 4 on the top grate that weigh between 7.2 and 7.5 lbs and thats bone-in butts. If they came from Costco they're probably boneless so you could tie them with bakers twine to pull them in a little tighter. Just a thought.

Switch them around half way thru! That is what I do. Bottom to top, top to bottom and also flip them at this time. Gets even cook and bark formation.

Back