4 PB ready to go

Bill Rickert

TVWBB Fan
Ive got 4 pb in the fridge, Mr Brown rub. They are on the small side. Trimmed they are 6#2', 5#9oz, 5#4oz and 4#8oz. I was planning on putting them on at 10pm but might wait until midnight. Could be done in 12 hrs or less (or more). Will use some oak, apple and hickory - 2/2/1.

My question is, my last 2 pb cooks, I skipped the sop in Mr Brown. I'm thinking of trying it this time. Any comments on whether it's worth opening the lid twice for the sop?

Tried the sop, tried apple juice in a spray bottle, tried mops. Anymore I just put the meat on and leave it be until it's done. I never found that mopping left any real flavor print on the meat. What it did do was increase cooking times and made more work of tending the fire. Now the Mr Brown sop is actually very good for after the cook. Has a nice flavor to it so long as you like vinegar.

I agree with Russ as far as using the sop. My pork butts (usually 32 to 36 lbs total) usually take at least 16 hours. I use an Eastern NC style sauce after the pork is pulled.

Thanks for the input. I think I've had it right from the beginning, at least for me. Keep the lid on and let it cook. Worked well first two times, why change a good thing. I'm not that fond of vinegar. I've got some KC Masterpiece, Hillsdale Bank BBQ and Zarda's BBQ sauce, all from KC, all great tasting. Wished my butts were bigger, but these are mostly for foodsaver work anyway. Going to do some ribs next and I have a natural turkey ordered for Bird Day. Fun to try new stuff, but will be glad to have a little experience behind me to up the confidence a little.

Back