4 butts tonight

I'm going to smoke four butts tonight , low is suppose to be 28. I think I will set up the WSM in my pole barn
I want to eat at 5:00 thinking about starting at 7-8 then if they get done early foil and hold them
Steve

They must be pretty good size if you're allowing 19 hours or more. Feeding a large crowd tomorrow?

Brad

Around twenty people , some of them are kids . The butts are 8 #s each .

I know 19 seems like plenty of time , but I want to make hog beans to , plus I would rather foil and hold than tell twenty or so people the butts won't finish up

Just did two 7 pounders last weekend. They went on about 11:00 PM Sat. night. Temps were good
with an average lid of 240 degrees. At 5:00 PM Sunday I had to foil them and throw them into an
oven for an hour and a half! Never in a million years did I think it would have gone that long.
You just never know. (So I learned!)

Probably a bit late, I did 2 for Super Bowl. Put on at 10 pm, pulled off a 4 the next day. Temp stayed a steady 32 all night. Smoked outside, no wind.

Well the butts look great , setup on my deck like I normally do instead of the barn .

At 10 I added some briquettes and water , the meat temp is 165 right now .

Hey all,

I have a question since I am new at this. I bought a 13lb. boneless butt today. When I opened the package, it was separated into two pieces. Should I cook them separatly, or should I tie them together. After trimming the fat off of each one, I have appox. 5 to 6 lbs. on each piece.
What would give me better results?

Sal,

No, you bought two pork butts wrapped in a cryovac package, thats how they come, they usually weigh in the 6-9lb range. Cook them separately, they'll both fit on the top grate, try to position them so they are not touching each other.

Thanks for the info.

I think I have a problem. It's starting to rain here in NY, and I'm in the middle of my cook. My temp. has dropped to 200 after the first 3 1/2 hours. I have the bottom vents open. Should I be doing something else to grt the temp. up again?

Please help.

Well the butts were great , I did three Mr Browns and one with no rub at all .

They hit a plateu at 160-170 that made me a little nervous , but at 4:00 they started climbing again and hit 190 at 5:15 . I took them off and foiled them until 6:00.

Back