4 4# 10oz NY Cheesecakes

(y) I wouldn’t complain about the crack, artwork in dessert! That’s probably why they put fruit or jam on top, I’m a purist no toppings.

In our experience (and we make pretty good cheesecakes I have to say - it is one of my favorite breakfast foods! We do them 5-6 times a year) cheesecakes with no cracks comes from both cooking in a waterbath, but IMO a very long/slow cooldown time is more important - we turn our oven off before they are fully cooked and leave it in the cooling oven for about an hour (gas oven so it vents naturally). Electric oven you would probably have to crack the door open a tiny bit.

Certain recipes may just be more prone to cracking too depending on their ingredients. They all taste the same to me in the end.

Last edited:
We’ve discussed this for many years and decided that cheesecakes without crack are just cheesefakes.

I’d be curious to hear how you stop the cracking. We experimented with a few different techniques, all which failed. So we chalked the cracks up to personality. Each cakes has their own personality.
A slower bake, in a bain marie (water bath,) and a long slow cool in the oven. Ideally, turn the heat off before it's set (165 F or so,) crack the over door to bleed off most of the heat, and let it sit for half an hour to an hour. I want to get to a point to where the egg proteins just bind it together, and are fully pasteurized. Unfortunately, this does take a couple of hours in the oven in total. I don't see this working for you if you're baking more than a couple. My desire to get to a crackless cheesecake is my predeliction. Cracked cheesecakes are still awfully good.

Like I said, I sure would not turn down a slice. Loves me some cheesecake. :)

Brett, finally got around to reading your thread. Thank you for the reminder. I have a 1" binder full of just cheesecake recipes. It starts off with famous recipes like from Lindy's in New York, Reba Mcentire's Orange Cheese cake and one from Chuck's Steak House down here in Ft. Lauderdale. DH is going to be real busy after Christmas. 😋

Back