4.2.4 Working - Which probes

NeilHeuer

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys I want to get using my 4.2.4 heatermeter. I need suggestions on a good TC probe along with what is the "best" standard probes out there? Ideally a long long cord would be nice?

Thanks a ton!

Neil

I have been using Auber probes. I use the one with a clip attached to it. Any K probe is perfect for the HM, the only variances that come into play are price, attachment options(screw, clip, ect...), length of cord. I would pick one that fits your wants and needs.

I would add that getting an isolated type K TC makes life easier, grounded TC's can act up in some scenarios where isolated TC'c would be unaffected. As for standard probes, I have grown to hate Maverick probes because they are not very water resistant and fail very easily if they get wet. On the other hand, I really like the Thermoworks Pro probes, I find them to be very reliable and water resistent, much harder to kill. Only thing is their probes have shorter leads on them, which at first seemed like a sticking point, but I have actually come to like the shorter cables because they are just long enough to reach and there isn't a lot of extra cable to get tangled up ('cause those braided probe leads do tangle up easily).

Hi John,

I'm looking at the simple aligator clip probe from them..

Any reason you are using the food probe? Looking for opinion - the cost is only a few bucks difference. I like the option of a smaller probe in my cooker - I can fill it up sometimes! I'm concerned on going too small - the larger mass of your suggested probe will give a less jittery measurement..

Hi John,

I'm looking at the simple aligator clip probe from them..

Any reason you are using the food probe? Looking for opinion - the cost is only a few bucks difference. I like the option of a smaller probe in my cooker - I can fill it up sometimes! I'm concerned on going too small - the larger mass of your suggested probe will give a less jittery measurement..

I have that one currently in my smoker. I bought both :)

Back