3rd. cooking grate

ChrisD

I am looking for a way to add a 3rd cooking grate. I would like to "add" this onto on the top cooking grate.

temporary fix (using Weber charcoal rails)
DSCN3025.jpg
DSCN3019.jpg
DSCN2661.jpg

For more ideas, check out this page.

I did a similar thing to improvise a smoker from my 22" one touch grill.

grill-smoker-1.jpg

I was inspired by the idea with the electrical conduit, also from the page that Mr. Lampe suggested.

The grate is a Weber 18" grate. After I played with heights and did more research on spacings in a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM), I realized that I could have used a 22" grate in this application. I initially started with the legs longer, so I got an 18" to fit up in the lid. But I realized that I lost too much cooker space, and also discovered that in the WSM, the cooking grate was only a fraction of an inch above the charcoal ring, so I lowered the legs on my grate.

Nice job. A while back I proposed a stacker. Something that looks like a rotisserie ring. Just no roti holes. It would have a couple tiers for cooking grates in it. With a thermometer mounted in front and a probe hole on the side. I think it would be a clean set up.

There are a couple of ideas here that are tremendous. I have a performer that I modified. Took the rotisserie section, that fits in the middle, drilled 4 holes with 1/4" by 1" long bolts at the top to hold the grill. Got the grill away from the heat. Used the original grill and bought another one for the top shelf. Almost instant 2 layer smoker.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

why ? they will never get close to the temps needed to give off anything toxic.
there are copper ones but i think they arre just to soft.

Originally posted by TravisH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albert Adato:
I don't know how conduict clips would work ...
Be sure not to use galvanized conduit clips! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I agree with George. There small enough and not that close to the heat to be of any real concern IMO.
But they do make SS EMT straps if any one is interested. Most of the straps you'll get at HD or the local DIY center are zinc plated or electo galvanized. You can ( if you like ) burn of the plating with a propane torch till cherry red, or dump them ontop of a well lit pile of coals, then let them cool off. The only downside is now they will rust, if left out in the elements..

Tim

Back