3D Printed Barrel Servo/Fan

As Steve mentioned, the TECH brand RJ45 fits fine. The RJ11 and RJ45 actually have the same form factor. The original prototype used the RJ11 because it was designed before the RJ45 standard was built into the HM.

Thanks Tom. I'll wait for the 3D prints to come back and then find an RJ45 socket locally that will fit. I'll post details once I fine one. Thanks again for the awesome design work on the damper and the case..

Tom, have you tried your rotary style damper in servo only mode, only allowing the fan to come on at 100%? If not, I plan to try it soon to see how well ( or not ) it works in that mode.

Has anyone any experience using the offset rotary damper with this blower - http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/35129.pdf ? It looks like it should fit (the exhaust is 0.2mm otherwise it's about the same)? The one I can't find the Delta one Tom linked to anywhere in the UK.

Tom - have you any idea what the cost of sending a case and damper to the UK would be if you were to print it? I've looked at local printing options and the premium they charge as commercial outfits is probably more than shipping from the US.

Cheers

Has anyone any experience using the offset rotary damper with this blower - http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/35129.pdf ? It looks like it should fit (the exhaust is 0.2mm otherwise it's about the same)? The one I can't find the Delta one Tom linked to anywhere in the UK.

Tom - have you any idea what the cost of sending a case and damper to the UK would be if you were to print it? I've looked at local printing options and the premium they charge as commercial outfits is probably more than shipping from the US.

Cheers

That fan should fit based on the schematics, but can't push as much air as the one I have listed from digikey. It's pretty close and shouldn't make a noticeable difference though. As far as printing goes, I don't usually print dampers for people because I don't have time to fab mounts for different smokers. If you are willing to fab your own mount, I could print you the plastic parts. You can PM me.

Which piece are you referring to? If it's the mount, it's just a piece of sheet metal from Home Depot. If it's the conduit, then onlinemetals.com.

Which piece are you referring to? If it's the mount, it's just a piece of sheet metal from Home Depot. If it's the conduit, then onlinemetals.com.

Thanks, I was looking for the conduit. Shipping is going to be 2x the price of the metal lol.

Tom,

I'm excited to be building up my first offset rotary damper. Thanks again for contributing the design.

I am using the BGE design and STL files. The local guy that I have printing this noticed that the vent fins are not connected to the top or bottom and are instead just floating. Since my CAD skills extend only to panning and zoom, I was able to see the gap on both the main vent fins and on the RJ45 connector hole but I have not tried to fix. Photo attached.

I don't know if others will run into the same issue, but my printer is hesitant to print as is. Do the fins need to be merged into the body of the top piece?

RSD-BGE-top-gap-M.jpg

- Eric

Last edited:
Eric, that is by design. I chose the spacing based on typical layer heights and set it so that about 1 layer will be skipped when printing the support. This makes it extremely easy to remove. You can tell your local guy to rest assured that this prints fine and this method has been used many times before.

V2 Rotary Damper printed in the UK

I've received my V2 Rotary Damper back fro the 3D print service I found online. The layers/striations mean that the parts will not mate easily nor does the damper rotate freely. I'm going to have to sand the surface down to get it to a point where it will be usable. Is this normal? Sorry if this is a question better suited to the 3D printing thread. Any advice appreciated!

RJ45 jack woes

Please could I ask someone to post an image of the TECH brand RJ45 jack? I've purchased 3 different types but none fit. This is the image of the commonly available ones here that are too wide.

Thanks again!

m-N9vQG_6YOi6ZxOvRuAjuw.jpg

As Steve mentioned, the TECH brand RJ45 fits fine. The RJ11 and RJ45 actually have the same form factor. The original prototype used the RJ11 because it was designed before the RJ45 standard was built into the HM.

Ron, I'm away at a conference so I can't send you a pic right now but I will be back on Thursday if someone else doesn't post a pic before I get back. As far as the parts you had printed go, I usually set my first layer so that everything is smooth. Not everybody does this so you may have to sand the parts down if they are not smooth, otherwise you will never get them to mate properly.

Ron, I'm away at a conference so I can't send you a pic right now but I will be back on Thursday if someone else doesn't post a pic before I get back. As far as the parts you had printed go, I usually set my first layer so that everything is smooth. Not everybody does this so you may have to sand the parts down if they are not smooth, otherwise you will never get them to mate properly.

Thanks Tom. No hurry, I'm in Nairobi and Tanzania for the next 10 days.

Back