350 or 250? Minion, water in pan or not? Or maybe a flower pot base?

Tormod Eikill

TVWBB Member
Hi, I'm relatively new to this and after following your discussions I'm totally mixed up. I have used the minion method and find the meat very juicy. So when should I rather cook in 325 degrees with empty water pan and when is 225 with water better? Or is it anyway better with a flower pot base in the pan instead of nothing, or instead of water or whatever?

Help me please, ladies and gents!

Your temps should be controlled by whatever you are cooking. You'll want to run the waterpan empty or use a clay base, sand, etc when cooking something that requires higher temps.

It really depends on what you are cooking. Most recipes will tell how to cook and at what temps.

A few guidelines of my own opinion would be any kind of meat over 2 or 3 lbs. needs the low and slow approach of 220 to 250 such as a pork butt or brisket. Chicken and smaller steaks, fish, roast, etc. needs the higher quick cook heats of 350 or so.

Decide what to cook and then just look it up on here and you won't go wrong. Everyone is different and we all cook a little different, you just have to learn what works best for you. For example some people like the high heat quick cook for a butt where I perfer the low and slow approach. Neither is right or wrong, it's just what each person style of cooking is. There is no hard set rules you have to follow, try both ways and see what works for you.

Randy

A lot of it is just personal preference, but many people like chicken done at higher temps since it makes the skin crispy. Ribs, pork butt and brisket were traditionally done low and slow, but many people have been experimenting with cooking these at higher temps as well. Here is a thread on high heat brisket.

As far as whether or not to use water, flower pot base, or some other pan set up, check the "WSM Modifications" board below for extensive discussion on these topics.

Back