30 minute ribs

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Initially these were supposed to go on the WSM tomorrow but I hadn't planned anything for tonight, so things changed. Seasoned them with a little Lawry's about 6 hours earlier, put them directly over RO coals (bones down for the whole time), and 30 minutes later we were eating. Not barbecue at all, but good grilled pork flavor.

GrilledRibs1.jpg

GrilledRibs2.jpg

I've thought about doing this before but never have. How was the tenderness/texture? More like a pork chop?

That would be about the best way to described them. Firm chew but not tough (after all, that's where rib chops come from), and because of the short cook the fat crisped more than it rendered. If I'd used a sauce it probably would've been a steak sauce and not a barbecue sauce.

Great looking ribs!

That's my favorite way to cook ribs, especially when we go camping. Lawry's seasoned salt or seasoned pepper. Direct right over the camp fire.
So tasty!

I’ve done this a couple times when time was crunchy. It’s different but kind of a nice change of pace. Those look real nice.

Brad: very interesting, indeed. The end result looks just as good as any Q I've ever seen, and that's something I'll definitely need to try one of these days.

On a side note (but still somewhat related to the topic of cooking ribs differently), the last time I was visiting my Mom in Idaho, she had purchased three baby back rib racks from Costco and wanted me to cook them...without a grill of any kind. She had gifted her small Weber gasser to my sister, and because I flew in from out of town, there was no grill option. All she had was her oven and a slow cooker (shudder). I opted for the oven, rubbing them down with a good, hearty rub, then cooked low and slow at 250° F over a hot water pan with NO smoke [and NO added Liquid Smoke] for four hours, checking and mopping them with an apple cider vinegar/rub mop about every hour. Her entire house began to smell so delightful, and when they were done and as we dug into them, I became convinced that while smoke flavoring is the absolute best, when that's not available, the low/slow oven method can delivery surprisingly good results.

Cheers!
Barret

Back