30 lbs. of butts

Nathan Bauer

TVWBB Fan
Howdy folks,

Doing some PP for a neighbor having a house warming party. I've got 4 butts each around 7.5 lbs. She'd like to have them done by 5pm when her guests start showing up. I've done plenty of butts but never this much at one time. Any ideas on a time frame for this cook?

Thanks!

If cooking at 225, then count on 2 hours/lb. All butts will cook in the time of a single butt, so it could take 14+ hours. If cooking at higher temps (250 - 275) then they could take 1.5 - 2 hours/lb.

You can have those done and left whole wraped in foil in a cooler with a bunch of towels or an old comforter in there for a looonnngggg time before the will drop below 140. I will get mine done as much as 4 hours before the party and pull about an hour before serving. Doing it this way you can pull each butt, put them in their own pans put the pans back into the cooler or in a low oven. This way you always have hot fresh BBQ without leaving anything out and drying out. Works well with brisket and any other large hunk of meat.

Brian, good technique. That way you always have fresh,hot bbq for the guests. Something about reheating of this stuff. Just doesn't taste the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
...Something about reheating of this stuff. Just doesn't taste the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, it doesn't. It's still good, but it's not the same as right after pulling.

Since there's really no "pulling" involved when cooking overnight at 225-250, and very little fat left to pull as well... I prefer to cook 'em slow overnight and foil in a hot cooler a few hours before the meal. "Pulling" takes no time at all if you cook at lower temps long enough, and the bbq is slower to dry out if you pull right before service.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Merz:
You can have those done and left whole wraped in foil in a cooler with a bunch of towels or an old comforter in there for a looonnngggg time before the will drop below 140. I will get mine done as much as 4 hours before the party and pull about an hour before serving. Doing it this way you can pull each butt, put them in their own pans put the pans back into the cooler or in a low oven. This way you always have hot fresh BBQ without leaving anything out and drying out. Works well with brisket and any other large hunk of meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great plan! That's almost what I do, but I usually pull all butts at once right before service. Maybe I might start dividing the bbq back into smaller pans after mixing all of the bbq together and touching up with a little sauce. I really like this idea of pulling out a smaller pan at a time...at least dividing it up in two if just the family.

Back