30 hour smoke and 4 birskets later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
Well it was my neighbors 40th birthday yesterday and his wife asked if I would smoke some briskets for the party. She said that there would be 65 people. She also said that they were grilling chicken and where going to do some ribs.

I bought 4 large packer briskets, the biggest one was 14.8 lbs and the smallest one was 11.6 lbs. There was no way I was going to be able to squeeze all this meat in on one cook. On Friday morning at 8:30 AM I started the smaller briskets figuring I could finish them before bed and get the large ones on for an overnighter.

As planned the two smaller briskets came off the WSM at 9:30. I light a new chimney of charcoal dumped it in the ring and shoehorned the 13 lb and 14.8 lb brisket into the cooker. The WSM performed amazingly the whole time.

At 2:00 PM the next day the cook was over and I put the last two briskets in the ice chest. The briskets that I had done the previous day where in the fridge so I put them in a 200 degree oven still wrapped in foil. I brought them up to temp and put them in the ice chest as well.

The all turned out great. One was a little bit dry but I just mixed it in with the other meat figuring that people would get a mixture and not notice as much. The briskets were the first thing to go at the party. Got lots of compliments.

What's the larget brisket any of you have gotten in the WSM? Is it okay to stack briskets on top of each other? If that works then I may do this same cook in a few weeks for another party, except all at once.

Jim....

Congrats on the briskets!!

I would not recommend stacking your meats. You have a few issues to deal with.....

Smoke will only get to the open surfaces, so it will be greatly reduced when stacking.

Heat will also only get to the open surfaces. This will increase your cooking time by a lot. It will cook as if it is one big hunk of meat.

Since briskets are fairly flat, perhaps adding a couple of cooking grates is the answer. Add one on the bottom level and one on the top level. Then you can cook all 4 briskets at one time.

Check out the mods page here on TVWBB, it discusses several ways to add grates.

One other way may be to place each brisket on its side and run several skewers thru to stabilize and keep the meat from touching. It would be just like how they box a pair of shoes!

Whoa, Jim! I'm very impressed!

I'll probably do the same in a few months, so this post will go into my logbook as part of my prep notes for that massive smoke. Just want to get some smoke time under my belt before I attempt anything of that size.

Mark

Yeah I was thinking about doing the grate mod as shown illustrated in this site. I think that would be the best way to go. I thought about trying to put the briskets in my rib rack. However, I don't think that the 14.8 lber would have fit. Perhaps a modified rib rack might be the trick? I'll do an exploratory trip to Home Depot and see what ideas turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back