3 Pork Butts

Chuck_B

TVWBB Wizard
Going to be smoking three pork butts this saturday. Sadly because I has real POS neighbors, overnight cooking is out of the question.

SO...that being said what temp do you think I should cook at to get them done in 12-13hrs? Going be starting at 4-5am. I was thinking of 250-275 for 9-10hrs then kicking up the temp depending where I am with meat temp for the remaining 2-3hrs. Think that's a good idea?

Also do you think it's better to do two on the top grate and one below or all three on top?

I think you'd be ok starting that early with the plan you mentioned. If the neighbors prevent overnight smokes, I guess that precludes the neighbors getting any Q, right?

They will never get a thing! Basically if I did do an overnight, my WSM would be gone and I'd probably have pieces of pork left that animals didn't eat. Actually, they might leave me the door. Bent in half of course...Jealousy is truely powerful...

I always allow at least 2 hrs per pound of the individual butts and then allow a little extra for multiple butts. Where you put them in the smoker doesn't seem to matter. I'm not sure you are giving yourself enough time. One thing to think about that I have never tried so we may need to get more input is to cut the butts in half before smoking to see if that will speed up the process. Worst case is they don't make it all the way to temp for pulling and you slice it instead.

Ken mentioned cutting the butts in half. If the butt is very big I always cut it in half because they have enough fat throughout each half to cook alright. I do it because I get more smoke flavor and more bark. They do cook faster and in my opinion are better for the above reasons. If you don't want it smokier cut back on the wood you normally use a little bit and should be ok. I've never had a problem with pulling when I cook this way.

I think that's a good plan, Chuck. Maybe run closer to 275º.

I too like to cut my butts in half. Produces more bark and more smoke flavor.

Only complaint I get from neighbors is that they want some, or that their wives make them BBQ every time I do.

As for short duration smokes, I put the meat in the smoker for 4 hours and pour the smoke on. Then wrap the butts in tin foil and finish in the oven. I can turn out pretty good Q in 8 hours or even less if I crank the oven temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael L:
What does your neighbor have against overnight smokes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not over night smokes that the problem is. It's the fact that I live on the water and they don't. I live at the end on the water and everyone on the block is INSANLY jealous!

Some of you are mentioning cutting them in half. Never done that but they are about 9.25-9.50lbs each. Think that's big enough to cut in half?

Agree - big enough.

When I did a ton of PP for the annual Church picnic, I deboned and halfed 7~8lb'ers just so I could squeeze more of them onto my 18".

BTW, my neighbors always came over to levy a "smoke tax" and gobbled up my 'cook's samplers'. I offered to teach them how but they said, No thanks, we'll just come over when we smell the smoke.

Yeah I'm def going to half them. I actually have four and I was going to save one for another time but I think I'm just going to do all four at once!

Try cooking at 300. Have them in smoke for 4 hours...then wrap with whatever you want to wrap with (apple juice, ect) and put back on for a couple more hours. Take off a couple hours later and put in a cooler with some towels to keep hot. You don't need 12 hours for good pork. You can go from fire to plate in 8 or less depending on butt size. Have fun!

I hear you on that rick. I've got it all planned out and ready to go!

THE MENU
Pulled Pork (yeah I know DUH lol)
Wings (deep fried both hot and bbq sauce)
Pork Sausage (smoker and grill)
Hamburgers & Hot dogs (there are children and young folk attending relax lol)
Chicken thighs & breasts (smoker and grill)
Pork Ribs (grill)
Mac and Cheese
Slaw
Beans

The pork ribs are going on indirect heat in a pan with a rub on them. About 3/4 can of beer and whole pack of dark brown sugar. They will go about an hour, get rotated in the pan, then lightly covered in foil and after another hour they're done! Little last minute edition!

Sorry it took so long. Ok here are some pics. Great success! 10hr cook, no water in pan, butts were cut in half and used apple wood. The only down side is the pics. I told my wife to make sure I remember to have her or someone take pics...ofcourse that didn't happen! So these pics are from my own camera phone except for the tray. Really annoyed about that! Oh well...next time! Here are the pics:

sealed. Four buts totalling 37lbs.
sealed.jpg

Rubbed up. Was still have asleep. Didn't take close ups
icon_frown.gif

rub.jpg

Smoke on the water...it was NOT windy that day which was a big help!
smoker-1.jpg

Early on
smokeypic.jpg

This was about 6.5hrs in.
meat.jpg

After this is when I ran into the no pics...was tired, everyone showed up about the time I was pulled them off the smoker, foiling and putting in the cooler. So with that confusion, I didn't take pics or grab someone too. Plus after that I was still cooking! Then when I took them out to pull them I didn't remember till almost the end and grabbed my sister to take pics. Told her to take a pic of the butt pre-pull and then the tray pulled. Well...she was drunk so this is all I have.
pulledpork.jpg

Slightly dissapointing at the after pics. Of course at the time I didn't know this. Here is a pic I took of my plate. I'm an idiot and didn't zoom either because after I pulled the pork as I said I was still cooking. This was taken at 9pm...3hrs later, 15hrs from when I started:
plate.jpg

Was a HUGE hit though! It all went...except for one tray I immediately folied and brough in the house hehehe. Had the smoker between 225-250 the whole day. Normally a struggle being on the water like that. Had a great smoke ring!

Anyway, enjoy the pics. Sorry it took so long! After eating I got so drunk I was carried to my house
icon_biggrin.gif

Back