3 Pork Butts on Top rack?

Robert D

TVWBB Member
I have the 18.5 weber smoker and am planning to smoke 3, 9 lb. butts.
I do not have the lower rack so I am planning on smoking the 3 butts at once on the top rack. I am able to fit them by placing them on their sides and inevitably they touch each other.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Bob

Works fine. I've done 6 total. When they shrink a little move them further appart. Btw replacement racks are pretty cheap

thanks! UI thought it would be ok, but just wanted to double check.
I think Home Depot carries the replacement rack which is 17 inches diameter.

I've got #3 9lb pork butts on my top rack of my 18.5 and #2 on the bottom as I'm typing this. They've been on since 9PM last night and are starting to finish up. I stood the ones on the top rack on end so they wouldn't touch each other as much. The first one I pulled was perfect. My biggest issue (which I expected) is I'm burning more charcoal than usual. Forty pounds of pork act as a pretty good heat sink. I thought the bottom rack was special order from Weber. The top is the cooking grate for the 18.5 inch kettle.

I have the 18.5 weber smoker and am planning to smoke 3, 9 lb. butts.
I do not have the lower rack so I am planning on smoking the 3 butts at once on the top rack. I am able to fit them by placing them on their sides and inevitably they touch each other.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Bob

You can use some cocktail toothpicks (the round ones) and just let them lean against those/to keep some air space between them. The butts' shrink naturally and then it won't matter.

Back