3 hours into my overnight briskit

daron_a

It is 1:30am and I am about 3 hours into my cook. I trimmed a 13 pounder and injected it with beef broth, soy and Worchester sauce then rubbed it up. Cooking at about 275 according to the WSM temp gauge. Hoping to get this done sometime mid to late morning. I have only done one brisket before and it was just ok, not as juicy as I wanted. I'm hoping the injection makes a difference.

Try to take pictures and post.
Looks like you have everything under control.

4:15 on the east coast, and I'm about 2 hours into a 9 lb pork butt. Just waiting a few more minutes to make sure I'm temp stable before heading to bed. Good luck with your brisket!

Are you going to foil?

I foiled at hour 5 when temps in the point were in the low 160's, flat was in the low 150's. I just now pulled off the foil to do a temp check at hour 7 and the temps were in around 194 in all areas. However, the probe did not go in as easy as I was hoping, especially in the flat, for that temp. The point seems pretty close to being where I want it tenderness wise. I may have committed a boo-boo here, but in my sleep deprived state I decided to take some of the au jus and re-inject it into the flat with the hope of tenderizing a bit. I have covered back up with foil and I am going to check again at hour 8. I hope this thing turns out.:confused:
The pork butts I put on with it are at 182 so far. My cooker temps have held steady between 260-275 at the lid thermo.

May not even take an hour to get to tender. Especially since you rewrapped it. Don't let temps screw you up.

Hour 8 and its went up 2 degrees to 196. seems to be getting more tender. cooker temp dropped to 240 but I stoked the coals a little bit to bring it up to where it was. Still plenty of coal in the chamber. I will check again at the 8hr 45min mark.

May not even take an hour to get to tender. Especially since you rewrapped it. Don't let temps screw you up.

I will try my best to ignore the temps, that is what everyone says. However, it is difficult to discount all the years of cooking to temp, I worry it will suddenly dry up like an old pork chop!

Good luck Daron, I am doing the same right now, no foil and cooking at 225-230 since 1030 last night. You are on the edge right now, it will pretty quickly go to a point where a skewer will just slide right in. As soon as it does pull it. Let it rest on the counter un-foiled for 20-30 minutes and then foil it and put it in your cooler covered with a blanket and you should be golden.

At hour 10 right now, cooker temps holding steady still. The beef is holding the same temps except for a part near the thin end of the flat is actually 175. Not sure why that part is so far behind. I took it out of the foil and letting it go for a bit longer. The butts are still in the stall in the 170's, but I have cooked enough of them that I don't worry at all about it. This brisket is making me nervous....or it could be the lasting effects of the booze and coffee from all night.

Good luck Daron, I am doing the same right now, no foil and cooking at 225-230 since 1030 last night. You are on the edge right now, it will pretty quickly go to a point where a skewer will just slide right in. As soon as it does pull it. Let it rest on the counter un-foiled for 20-30 minutes and then foil it and put it in your cooler covered with a blanket and you should be golden.

Thanks for the good wishes! Have a great 4th!

This process is interesting. So many people talk about 12+ hour brisket cooks and then you watch some of the bbq shows and these guys turn them out in 8hours. I know people like Miron Mixon do high heat to get those times, but some of them say they are doing 225-250 and get them done in that time. I would hate to do brisket for a competition, it seems like it could be maddening.

The tenderness is starting to work its way down the flat from the high end over the point to the mid point of the flat. The low end is still 15 degrees cooler and not as probe tender. 10-1/2hrs in.

You are going to be fine. do yourself a favor and pull that thermometer out of the meat. Just take it out and put it away.
The meat will tell you when it is done, take a skewer and just lift the lid a little so you don't lose too much heat and just stick it in the side along the flat, when it slides in nice and easy pull that meat.

I'm with Bill. Put the thermometer away. Since you re-injected the flat with I assume room temp liquid you probably slowed it down a lot. usually the flat is done before the point. Probe the flat from the side until tender (not the top). It's hard to overcook the point end since it has so much fat to render. Let brisket rest uncovered when you pull it.

Yes Brisket can be maddening and it always takes me longer than I thought. I read a lot of tough brisket stories from pulling it too soon before the collagen breaks down. It sounds wrong but cooking it longer will make it more moist. Besides I'd rather add some sauce to dry brisket than have tough fatty meat you can't chew :) Hang in there.

And yes, try high heat brisket recipe next time. It is much faster and more consistent IMO and you give up a little on the bark quality. Try both methods to see what you like.

Back