3 Bone Prime Rib on Rotisserie

Jon in DFW

TVWBB Fan
Well, im going for it!! After over a month with no grilling or smoking meat I decided to splurge and invite some family over for an 8lb 3bone prime rib. It is a choice grade, but had great marbling.

I separated the ribs before seasoning and have now used butcher twine to tie them back on for the cook. Just wanted to help myself later when its cooked.. I may have over done the twine, but I don't want it separating on the rotisserie.

Plan is to cook it on the 22 kettle with rotisserie for 2-2.5hrs, @ 325°

I do have some folks who like it medium, so I will attempt to rotisserie on a slant to allow for 2 zone cooking the rib roast. We will see how it works out.
20220306_113733.jpg
20220306_114202.jpg20220306_114823.jpg20220306_114829.jpg20220306_115810.jpg20220306_115819.jpg

Attachments

• 20220306_113733.jpg
    20220306_113733.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 1
Hahaha, 3:45, come on over lol.

Anyone interested, I seasoned with equal parts kosher salt, 16mesh black pepper, and garlic powder.

I like to season simple on my first time cooking something, and this is my first Prime Rib.

Doggone it, I can’t make it in that time, people coming over at 4:00!
I like the “box method” trussing technique, I usually tie them back on in the traditional “follow the rib” style.
Next Saturday (weather permitting) three racks of ribs, and some other tasty treats, I have not done any ribs since last fall.

Thanks everyone I am very happy with this being only my second time having prime rib, and my first time cooking it myself.

I was recently given the "Rotisserie on the Slant" idea from a friend and it worked perfect, the meat was at about 30° off the coals for the first hour, then 75° to the coals the second half and it really worked, med-rare 1 side and a nice transition to medium on the opposite.

It was well worth eating ground beef and chicken for the last month to enjoy a ridiculous splurge!!!

Thanks everyone I am very happy with this being only my second time having prime rib, and my first time cooking it myself.

I was recently given the "Rotisserie on the Slant" idea from a friend and it worked perfect, the meat was at about 30° off the coals for the first hour, then 75° to the coals the second half and it really worked, med-rare 1 side and a nice transition to medium on the opposite.

It was well worth eating ground beef and chicken for the last month to enjoy a ridiculous splurge!!!
Well done Jon! Looks delicious! I have one in the freezer I was waiting until the snow was gone to spin, but you have me thinking I can’t wait that long.

Back