3-2-1 method temp overshooting

R Roy Martin

Hello,

Concerning spare ribs, whenever I cook them I use the 3-2-1 method and ALWAYS overshoot the temp. I've tried cutting the foil time, adjusting all times (i.e. 2.5-1.5-.5, etc) used a lower cooking temp (225 as opposed to 275). I use lid temp (until my stoker comes in). Any advise?

Overshoot what temp? The temp of the ribs, or the temp in your pit? If you're trying to measure the temperature of your ribs, you're probably getting an inaccurate reading.

Dome temp in a WSM can be 50F lower than the grate temp. If you don't have one, get some kind of pit probe so you're actually measuring the temperature at the grate.

There's no evaporation from the surface of the meat when it's wrapped in foil so internal temperatures of the meat will always be higher using this method compared to being smoked uncovered. The internal temperature of the meat doesn't matter as much as time-at-temperature long enough to make the meat tender.

Try not to worry so much about temperatures, and worry more about finished texture. Use that as your guideline to adjust your method.

i have never checked the temp of ribs. I only keep track of the pit when doing ribs. I am still a beginner but my ribs always come out great using the 3-2-1 method. Like other said stick with how they feel and not the temp of them. Cooking 6 hours with 225 - 275 will cook them so there is no worry that you will give raw meat to someone.

I have a Stoker on the way and will use that pit probe as soon as I can :)

I was under the impression that ribs should get to 170F. I never thought about the meat temp being inaccurate but I guess that makes sense. My texture is good (not falling off but tender and leaves bite marks) but there not a juicy as I've seen other ribs.

Should I continue to adjust times to achieve the juicyness I desire?

I think cooking BBQ is always a trial and error deal. All of our cookers are a little different and our desired end product will vary greatly. Personally, I dont foil for more than 45 minutes to an hour. Just that little bit of a jump gets me to the texture I like and cuts the cooking time down. I dont find that even spares need 6 hours if I am using foil. Just keep experimenting and documenting until you get it how you like it. Then nobody else's opinions matters. :cool:

Definitely try different combinations until you get what you like. Remember to only change one thing at a time so you can track what change caused the results. Also cook for what you and your family like and do not worry about duplicating what others do.
I always spritz with apple juice every time I open the smoker to add moisture.

Mike

Do you guys foil to reduce cooking time or for some other reason?
I ask because even though I am fairly new to the low and slow smoking the ribs I have done so far were phenomenal, bark tenderness taste and texture and i just smoke them straight for five to six hours on the WSM at 225-275. I usually remove the cover once around 3.5 hours or so and mop with apple juice-apple cider vinegar-sweet baby rays mix to ensure a good surface.

I like backyard BBQ where the ribs fall off the bone. Using the foil usually makes this happen for me every time. Plus i get to add brown sugar, butter and honey to the foil. My wife doesn't eat BBQ sauce so she likes how they taste with all that stuff.

You generally foil for two reasons. First to prevent over-smoking the meat and to speed up the cooking somewhat.

I have been foiling everything since being taught to do so. Prior to that, nothing was foiled.

Of course, we don't foil until the product shows us a sign that it's ready, such as the condition of the bark.

Last edited:
Foiling is a technique many will use for competition to control the color, add additional flavors and to create tenderness while doing the first two I mentioned. Not necessary to create a good rib for backyard eating

I lust did it for the first time, 2 racks as my second cook on a new 22wsm and luckily I read up on that topic first.

I went 225 to 230 top grate temp

2 hours on the smoker

1 hour in foil

1 hour sauced no foil with pit opened up to 275 and the were nice perhaps even a tiny bit overdone for my liking but taste and color were spot on. If it were a competition they would have been surely considered overdone.

I will not be doing it again any time soon, for me 4 hours for baby's and 5 for spares with the last hour sauced and temped up has always gotten me close to judge final doneness by toothpick or bend test.

For the last hour after I have unfoiled my ribs, I cut all vents off and let the cooker cool down slowly with ribs in it. This helps reset my bark without drying out the spare rib. So far so good with the 3-2-1 method. I also like to foil with coke to add a different flavor element. I also do not sauce the ribs but instead prefer to have a bottle on the table to add just a little bit to a few ribs.

the bark I have gotten so far without foiling has a very slight crusty to it but nothing that would be considered tough or chewy. Actually for me it is what adds tremendous flavor. I do not sauce them with a traditional sauce. Just a quick mop at 3.5 hrs. with apple juice and apple cider vinegar along with just a tablespoon of Sweet Baby Rays. The bark still has a nice moistness to it when I have done it this way.

Not necessary to create a good rib for backyard eating
Very True !!! Heck, I wouldn't want to eat comp ribs for a meal. Or any comp meats prepped and cooked for competition, for that matter for a meal. Don't get me wrong... I love tasting comp, just not for normal eating.

OT: My wife is affected by the MSG in the comp rubs and injections, so 2 pepto tablets before judging, 2 tablets after and 2 tablets that night. Otherwise she'll have that sick feeling for 3 days.

Bob

Last edited:

Back