2nd WSM Brisket

Mike Stevenson

TVWBB Super Fan
I cooked a high heat packer that I separated the point from the flat. Cooked it at 300F for 3 hours then foiled them till they reached 203F. Came out great. :-D

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Mike the brisket looks very nice and very moist to boot!!

If I may provide a bit of corrective criticism though and please don't take this the wrong way. You inadvertently sliced the brisket parallel to the grain, which does not effect the taste, but it will the tenderness. Try slicing perpendicular to the grain on your next brisket and see if you notice a difference.

GM Mike... Great looking brisket! A piece of that would have been great for breakfast on this foggy Friday morn. I am thinking of picking up a brisket for the weekend. Tnx for the inspiration...

Great looking brisket. If all that is wrong is direction of cut you did good! That's an easy one to fix.

I've got a brisket in the setting stage after smoking... which way will the grain run? Is it from the point to the back of the flat, or perpendicular to that?

Thanks!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Mike the brisket looks very nice and very moist to boot!!

If I may provide a bit of corrective criticism though and please don't take this the wrong way. You inadvertently sliced the brisket parallel to the grain, which does not effect the taste, but it will the tenderness. Try slicing perpendicular to the grain on your next brisket and see if you notice a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Larry, is slicing perpendicular to the grain on a cut of meat the same as cutting against the grain? Also if we cut against the grain and also cut at a 45 deg angle, is this a benifit for briskets and roasts.
Tommy

Stevo,
The grain on a brisket runs long ways from the point to the end of the flat. With brisket as with bottom round, eye round, london broil (top round)its best to slice it across the grain. By slicing it with the grain it will be tougher and could be a bit stringy. Also when slicing across the grain its best to keep the slices on the thin side 1/4-1/2".
Hope this helps.

Back