2nd cook - Smoked Chicken

ChrisInhove

Hi,

This was straightforward after the pulled pork!

I smoked a pre-brined chicken, with a basic rub, on the top rack, with foiled medium potatoes on the bottom rack. 3 hours at 250F, then rested the chicken for 30' leaving the spuds in with the vents fully open. Still using the water pan and minion method, plus some useful tips from you guys.

Delicious and soooo tender!

I was nervous of over smoking and only used 3 thumb sized slithers of cherry wood, but even that created a very intense flavour - I will use less, next time.

Chris

Get you a set of Spanek vertical roasters. I bought the set and a couple extra chicken sized ones. Being able to do a 18lb turkey vertical is nice. The extra chicken roasters are nice to have so you can do 3-4 chickens at a time if you have family over. I also made a hook with a handle so you can go down through the neck hole and hook the top ring. That way you have a easy carrying handle for your cooked bird.

Here is what they look like.
4afc1ffe737afc3fa938ecb3e907db86.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

What did you mean "leaving the spuds in the vents fully open"?

I let the temperature rise after the chicken came out, by fully opening the vents, as baked potatoes are usually cooked at higher temperature, and thought it would help ensure they were fully cooked. Spuds = potatoes.

Definitely getting a vertical roaster!

I let the temperature rise after the chicken came out, by fully opening the vents, as baked potatoes are usually cooked at higher temperature, and thought it would help ensure they were fully cooked. Spuds = potatoes.

Thanks.

Did you put the potatoes in after you took the chicken out?

Or were they there the whole 3 hours?

Definitely getting a vertical roaster!

I've been using this one since 2012.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004UE87/tvwb-20

Not only has it done well with chickens, but it did well on my 14.39 lb turkey, even though the specifications say "up to 8 lbs.".

When I did the turkey, I put it on the middle rack of the WSM.

It has its own drip catcher. Although I usually place another try underneath just in case.

Thanks.

Did you put the potatoes in after you took the chicken out?

Or were they there the whole 3 hours?

I've been using this one since 2012.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004UE87/tvwb-20

Not only has it done well with chickens, but it did well on my 14.39 lb turkey, even though the specifications say "up to 8 lbs.".

When I did the turkey, I put it on the middle rack of the WSM.

It has its own drip catcher. Although I usually place another try underneath just in case.

The whole 3 and a bit hours for the potatoes.

I'll use the lower grate for the chicken, next time. I've something like the Norpro on order, so I won't need to turn it.

Back