2nd Cook on Weber (Brisket) still newbie?!

Scott Dallal

TVWBB Member
OK last week I had good success on first cook on Weber with a 15 hr cook for pulled pork. I have done pork a bunch on OCS (Old crappy smoker). Here is that thread for those interested.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/657103095

Now getting ready for a Brisket. This will only be the 2nd brisket I have done. Wife loves pulled pork so that is pretty much only what I have done before. But I had picked up and froze the brisket a while back so with last weeks success, thawed the brisket for another over night cook.

10.5 lb brisket. Cut 1.5 lbs of fat off so guessing about a 13 hour cook. I'll put on at midnight and either have lunch or hold in a cooler for an early dinner. Will be going with a full ring of Kingsford Original with mainly Mesquite Chunks but also a few Apple chunks mixed in the coal. Will put a few on top to touch the well lit coals on top for the Minon Method.

With the success last week, I'm stick to the sand filled clay saucer and just keep the vents shut more than I did last week at the beginning. No water here.

As for the Brisket Rub Mop, I'll be following Bobby Flay's advise here,

http://www.foodnetwork.com/foo...GE-FORMATTER,00.html

EXCEPT, instead of Ancho Chili Powder, I'm going with Chipotlee Chili Powder. I found Ancho, but I just love Chipotle, so giving that a shot. Will do the mop as well but likely won't use it till about the 1/2 mark.

Notice that BF says it cooks for about 4~5 hours and that he bastes every 30 minutes.

But you're estimating 13 hours. Are you really planning on basting every 30 minutes ... for 13 hours?

BTW, every time you open that lid, you extend the cook at least 15 minutes.

I recommend you forget the mop.

Oh, my no. I assume he is cooking for such a short time as his is half the size. I'm about to put mine on the smoker (11:30pm) and once I'm confident the temp in the smoker has stabilized, I plan to sleep and not get up till 6-7. I'll then make and baste, but every hour.

That is how I did the pork last week. And seemed to come out well. My goal this time is to keep the smoker at below 250 from the start.

Well woke up this morning to see Weber locked at 250. Much better than last week when I woke to almost 300.

However, I took the time to turn and flip the meat and tho I have yet to measure internal temp, it has already lost a lot of size and looks close. Humm...no way this is going 13 hours I predicted. Since I was a 250 on the smoker, I closed all vents and will start to measure the internal of the meat in a bit.

Interesting. I might have to try water next time. Or perhaps, rather than another overnight smoke, I'll wake up early to put it on for a full day smoke so I can monitor temps by the hour.

Oh and no way I'm basting now. I think this bad boy will be done soon!

Scott, it's done when its tender. Sounds like you got her down. If you have to hold it's ok up to about 4 hrs. Longer you might want to quick cool and bring back to about 160, which will take about 2 hrs, slowly for service. Let us know how she fares?

Mark

Well there you go. Cook is done! I put probe in at 10 hrs and temp at 195! I checked several spots.

Not exactly sure what happened. If anything. It was a 8.5-9 lb brisket. I don't think the smoker ever got over 250.

It looks and smells great! Foil wrapped and in a cooler for lunch in 2-3 hrs.

Next time I'm doing a day cook and going to check temps hourly. I might also ditch the clay saucer and just fill the water bowl with sand. Seems if anything I can't keep the temps down. Even tho I closed all three vents completely when I woke up this morning, the temp stayed at 250 for 4 hours.

I've got a ton of fuel left. I might throw on some true jalapeño poppers. I've got some big Texas peppers. Just need a little cream cheese and probably mix it with the BBQ rub I made and maybe some bacon....pic coming later.

Since I had so much fuel left, I put on some roasted potatoes. After an hour they had good color, but were not cooking through. So I've moved those to a 400 oven. I seasoned the potatoes with EVOO, salt, pepper, Ancho Chili powder and fresh garlic.

I also made some jalapeño poppers. I used cream cheesed mixed with bacon, onions, chopped Serrano peppers, garlic, salt, pepper and a few tablespoons of that wonderfully seasoned bacon fat. They are looking awesome in the smoker.

Pics for everything to be posted tonight...

Ok, brisket was good. Not great, but good...The main part was a little dry, but good taste. The cap part was tender and very good. I think I overcooked it overall. Minimal smoke ring inside, but a ton of smoke flavor.

My wife commented that she thought it was done fine, but the smoke flavor was overpowering. That maybe the chipotle powder. Or all the Mesquite I used. Or both!

The rub I thought was a lot better than my pork last week. This stayed with the meat better and was not chewy. I did not use mustard this time.

My daughter thought it was a little to spicy. Son who is not a big meat eater, thought it was among the best BBQ he has had!!

Potatoes were ok. Probably not do that again. To heavy of a smoky flavor. But worth the shot.

The poppers were fantastic! I cooked the poppers about 45-hour with nothing in them. I then pulled them and while starting to soften still held real good form. I then filled them as mentioned above and cooked another hour. Just until the cheese started rising up and browning.
Best poppers I have ever made! Taste, doneness, everything, just perfect.

I'll post pics later. So what is next? I think another brisket. They usually go on sale for July 4th. I do it with a day cook and really chart the temps.

I SO freaking love this smoker. I just got to get myself use to it. It is an amazing unit. In fact, I love it so much and have to buy charcoal for it anyway, I think I'm going to pick up a 22.5" One Touch. Haven't decided on Silver or Gold. My old gas grill bit the dust. My dad got me a cheap gas for christmas. But since I need to have Charcoal on hand anyway, I pick up a classic Weber...

Or all the Mesquite I used.

That'll do it!

As I understand it, the use of foil got it's start as a means to prevent over-smoking, especially from mesquite.

Some pic's.

This is after I trimmed. Notice the size compared to the cutting board (which is a big cutting board). 6" chef knife

looksgood.jpg

Fat side up and all trimmed

trimmed.jpg

All seasoned up!

rubbedup.jpg

After cooking. Same cutting board. Must have lost 50%. Is that about right? No? Yes? I don't have a slicer, so moved up to a 8" chef knife

reallyshrank.jpg

Sliced thick to hold together

slice.jpg

More sliced

slicedup.jpg

Potatoes.....way overpowering. Wife liked tho???

badpotatoes.jpg

These were fantastic! Some of my favorite...ever

awesomepoppers.jpg

Lessons learned:

Do a day cook to see what the smoker is doing hour by hour
Find some Apple and Cherry wood
I like the Chipotle powder but wow! It really brings it. Maybe use it as a supplement rather than the main ingredient.

Nice looking meat! Looks juicy and very tender. Funny how cooking times can vary from what you expect. There's just no tellin?

Mark

Back