2nd cook on the WSCG, 2 zone shellfish and veggies.

WB Zipf

TVWBB Pro
Well, maybe it wasn't a true two zone cook, as I only used the low zone when I realized that the sear zone was way to hot. None the less I set up a two zone fire. Here is how it went:

Menu-
App. Melissa Cookstone's Tsunami Shrimp
Main. Weber's Parmesan Scallops and Weber's Grilled Shrimp Cocktail (sans cocktail sauce)
Side 1. Melissa Cookstone's Balsamic Grilled Vegtables.
Side 2. Giada's lemon risotto

Here are the veggies marinating.

image_zpskva1zntn.jpeg

Here are the scallops after breading.

image_zpsmh1swvd6.jpeg

Setting up the WSCG for two zone cooking.

image_zpsw1rad7to.jpeg

Cooking the bacon to wrap the tsunami shrimp in

image_zpsgwcwtmw6.jpeg

Tsunami shrimp with cream cheese filling wrapped in partially cooked bacon, ready for final cook.

image_zpseoisyasj.jpeg

Tsunami shrimp, served with some eaten.

image_zpsfvkn3vln.jpeg

Cooking the Weber cocktail shrimp.

image_zpstfkfvnnm.jpeg

Cooking the balsamic veggies.

image_zpsxfsks1u1.jpeg

All plated up.

image_zps3sf5xddp.jpeg

So what did I learn from this cook? Well the first thing is to get a better idea for prep time. I thought it would take 1 hour to prep all this up, it took 2 1/2 hours. Needless to say, my hungry family was disappointed in my poor time assessment / management. The second thing, is be carful cooking oiled veggies on the grill, flare ups and closed lids can impart an undesirable flavor. Now thoes have nothing to do with the WSCG, but good lessons none the less.

Regarding lessons learned with the WSCG, I did learn that the grate over the direc coals is HOT!!!! Nothing to be trifled with. While I am excited for searing steaks on this, I must be careful about paying attention to anything I put over there. In this case I was able to burn bacon before the shrimp in the tsunami shrimp was cooked. I also, for the second time, found great appreciation for the extra real estate (as compared to the 22.5 traditional Weber kettle). For thoes of you who have gone no bigger than the 22.5 kettle, you don't know what your missing. For those of you who have the 26, I would imagine you would say the same to me.

The only other notes is that my Rapidfire damper lid is back to being not "sticky,". I didn't really do anything other than use it, but it no longer sticks like it did the first time I fired up the grill.

It is a fun and versital grill, this WSCG!

That is some awesome cooking you did, everything looks delicious. Your Tsunami shrimp is very interesting, going to have to try that one.

Well, it is a different beast than either the WSM or my Performer, but I guess I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't.

Three things that differentiate it from the other two mentioned: 1) thermal efficiency, it can certiany operate at much higher temps, or at the same temps and consume less fuel. 2) I love that it can smoke like the WSM, and grill like the performer! 3) last but not least, I love the real estate, 24" is certainly not to big, but 22.5" would have been to small!

The one thing I am still getting used to is temperature control, as temps can quickly get out of hand and go supper high, if you aren't careful. I do believe that this skill of temp control will come with time and practice.

Back