2nd cook on my WSM

Jay Nelson

Today I cooked (6) eight - ten lbs pork butts on my new 22.5" WSM and learned a lesson... Next time doing so many butts I will put the smaller ones one the top grate with the larger down below because the lower grate was definitely cooking faster than the top grate. I'm assuming the lower grate is hotter being closer to the fire but did not have enough temperature probes to confirm this. The pork was delicious and will certainly be enjoyed at the party I'm attending tomorrow.

Great job Jay !

You are correct. Also, the heat energy that is being used to cook the pork butts on the lower grate is no longer available to the pork butts on the top grate. Hence, less available heat energy for those on the top grate.

I try and get them all the same size. However I then also switch them from top to bottom and vice versa half way through the cook. Smoke for a couple hours, then foil the rest of the way.

Sounds like they turned out mighty tasty and you are correct about the lower grate being hotter as it is closer to the fire/heat

You can always shuffle them from top rack to bottom rack during the cook, but then may need to get your temp dialed in again.
Enjoy your new 22.

Back