2nd Brisket, a couple of questions

Dave K

TVWBB Pro
I put on a brisket last night about 10:30, a little earlier than maybe needed, but I was ready for bed, and didn't want to wait any longer. At 2:00 this morn smoker was at 290*, so I throttled back the vents, and basted with Apple Juice. At 5:00 this morn temp was around 240* and basted again. Now at 6:45 temp is still 240, meat is at 185. My question is, I want to eat this for lunch, I have enough time that I don't need to foil to speed it up, however does the foiling do anything else to it that I should still foil it to get the taste/texture right.

Foiling does a few things besides decreasing cook times. It aids in retaining moisture and it also as J. pointed out, gives you a more uniform doneness throughout the brisket. No, foiling is not necessary at all but if used correctly will give you very consistent results everytime.

Since it looks like your brisket is going to finish earlier than expected, I would foil now or when it's done (up to you when you foil) and let it rest on the counter for an hour, then open up the foil and let cool another 30 minutes. Then pour the foil juices in a bowl and slice the brisket and then put it into a pan, pour the juices over and refridgerate until 1 hour before you're ready for lunch and then reheat in the oven just until warm, do not over heat.

Foiling also help keep in some of the juice.

Also, to hold this until lunch you should put it into a cooler, wrapped in a towel...wrapping it in foil to keep the cooler clean
icon_wink.gif

I have had mine wrapped for 4 hours and it was plenty warm when I finally took it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It aids in retaining moisture </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, can you be more specific? It seems logical, but are we talking about surface dryness or internal moisture?

I'm thinking careless use of foil might lead to a temp over shoot. Over cooked meat will be dry regardless of the cooking method (even boiling).

I am stuck on this idea that internal moisture is internal moisture and you got to be crafty to add to it or to keep from losing it. Its not as simple as: "mop meat to keep it moist."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It aids in retaining moisture </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, can you be more specific? It seems logical, but are we talking about surface dryness or internal moisture?

I'm thinking careless use of foil might lead to a temp over shoot. Over cooked meat will be dry regardless of the cooking method (even boiling).

I am stuck on this idea that internal moisture is internal moisture and you got to be crafty to add to it or to keep from losing it. Its not as simple as: "mop meat to keep it moist." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I mean is, if you foil in the 160º-165º range, your brisket is braising in it's own juices, while they render into the foil. Then during the resting process, the meat will reabsorb most of the rendered juices, therefore retaining it's natural moisture. Does that make sense? The downfall, is it does somewhat soften the bark.

Foiling as you say can indeed cause overshooting of temps and WILL do so if it is not done correctly.

I think from a moisture standpoint, 'mopping' is a waste of time and does absolutely nothing as far as adding moisture is concerned. It will however add some flavor. But, in the big picture, from flavor or moisture points of view, basting, mopping, spritzing gives you minimal bang for your buck if you will...Just my opinion though!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Then during the resting process, the meat will reabsorb most of the rendered juices, therefore retaining it's natural moisture.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, that was the nugget I was looking for. Thanks.

I was using the mop point as an example of how preserving internal moisture is often over simplified. Foiling can be similarly misconstrued. Just because moisture can't escape the foil, doesn't mean it won't leave the meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Then during the resting process, the meat will reabsorb most of the rendered juices, therefore retaining it's natural moisture.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, that was the nugget I was looking for. Thanks.

I was using the mop point as an example of how preserving internal moisture is often over simplified. Foiling can be similarly misconstrued. Just because moisture can't escape the foil, doesn't mean it won't leave the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I understood what you were saying about the mopping.

Well, I ended up foiling around 8:30 with a little apple Juice trown into it. I left it on the heat for about 45 mins, then took it off and wrapped it in a towel and squeezed it into a lunch box cooler. When we came home from church2 1/2 hrs later, it was the right temp to cut up and serve. Thanks all for your help.

Back