2nd attempt at brisket. Really good and crazy fast

EricDS

My first attempt at brisket wasen't great. Pretty sure I bought a point that was meant for making corned beef and thats what the finished product tasted like.

2nd attempt was yesterday. Picked up a flat at Walmart for almost $8.00 per pound. That 4.5 pound flat was $35! Unfortunately Walmart is the only grocery store around here that consistantaly has brisket flats. So I picked it up and chalked it up to the cost of learning.

Injected and rubbed and on the WSM at 4:00pm. Tried pecan wood for the first time. Wrapped in foil with beef broth at 160 IT. Well, by 9:45pm I hit 203 IT.

Done in under 6 hours. I was expecting it to take a whole lot longer. I put it it the cold oven while still wrapped up until 2am. At 2am, moved it to the fridge and went back to bed.

Opened it up this morning and sliced off bit. Looked great inside and cut easily with a bread knife. Heated up the slices in the microwave with some of the au jus. Had them with white bread and a bit of store bought BBQ sauce.

It was really really good and I'm thrilled how it came out. The pecan smoke is much more subtle and mild than hickory and the brisket was very tender and moist. Had a slight bit of chew which I like, but still very tender. Brisket could be my new favorite thing to smoke. Totally happy with how it tasted!

Anyway, does anyone have ideas why it cooked so fast? Temp never got above 250. The brisket was about 4.5 pounds and very even thckness. Id guess maybe about 1.5 inches thick across the entire flat. Not very big at all, but still cooked quicker than any prok butt i 've ever done.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
If you are going by the dome thermometer I bet the actual temp is much higher as they are not known for accuracy. The important thing is it tasted good.

A brisket flat is thin so it cooks much faster than a butt would. Foiling and braising it with liquid also speeds up the cook. Only thing I would caution you about is cooking to a specific IT. The next one you cook to 203 may be a crumbling dried out piece of meat. You should always check your meat with a probe to see if it's done. Start probing around 195-198f.

A brisket flat is thin so it cooks much faster than a butt would. Foiling and braising it with liquid also speeds up the cook. Only thing I would caution you about is cooking to a specific IT. The next one you cook to 203 may be a crumbling dried out piece of meat. You should always check your meat with a probe to see if it's done. Start probing around 195-198f.

Ditto on this. I was a firm believer in the 203 thing myself and cooked some really good briskets that way until suddenly I didn't. I had one slightly overcooked and bottom was crumbly. I've taken off one at 193 and it was probably my best ever. Right now I'm checking doneness by probing with a skewer and starting to learn how to go by just feel.

A flat for $8/lb! What a rip off! I don't know why a flat can cost over 2x as much as a full packer. Well, at least it turned out well for ya. I love pecan wood on just about everything. Try it on pork butt and ribs! Happy smoking!

Back