28 lbs of Brisket on 1 WSM

Originally posted by craig castille:
Larry,

Any edge burn? Doesn't look like it from the pics.

Forgive me for being so bold, but how much do you sell the briskets for? Just curious.........

Craig.
No edge burn whatsoever Craig, I was a little surprised myself. Seemed to cook no different that a brisket cook centered on the top grate.

The brisket sells in 2lb bags for $20 a bag.

Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
Wow, those look great Larry. I've yet to do a brisket with mine yet, but this sure is good motivation! For some reason I thought briskets needed a much longer cook time, so I'm pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise. Nice job!
Mitch my briskets generally take around an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes per lb.

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Hi Barry I used one of THESE.
"Now that's a knife."
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barry Fantle:
Those briskets looked very nicely sliced. how are you slicing them? electric knife, slicer...etc...

thanks

barry

Hi Barry I used one of THESE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same here Larry. I have the 40646 - 14" slicer. They really do make short work of slicing briskets, or anything else that needs slicing.

Thank you for the reply. Sand and fire bricks!!! Tricks of the trade I'm guessing. The WSM I have is pretty old and I think it might have been used once before it was purchased at an estate sale for $20. It has the old wood handles on it and the book that came with it looks very old! I just thought water was the way to go with to keep moisure in the cooker. I had been looking for one for a while and just had a hard time paying full price for a new one. My father found this for me down in Arkansas one day and called to see if I was still looking for one. Definitly a great deal. So you are pretty much using either sand or bricks to help keep the temps stable instead of water. Do you see a difference between the sand or the bricks? Vince

Originally posted by Vince B:
Thank you for the reply. Sand and fire bricks!!! Tricks of the trade I'm guessing. The WSM I have is pretty old and I think it might have been used once before it was purchased at an estate sale for $20. It has the old wood handles on it and the book that came with it looks very old! I just thought water was the way to go with to keep moisure in the cooker. I had been looking for one for a while and just had a hard time paying full price for a new one. My father found this for me down in Arkansas one day and called to see if I was still looking for one. Definitly a great deal. So you are pretty much using either sand or bricks to help keep the temps stable instead of water. Do you see a difference between the sand or the bricks? Vince

The sand, firebricks, clay pot base, etc, act as a heat baffle as well as help hold temps steady. I do not notice a difference between sand or bricks.

Good to know. Do you cover them with foil to keep the drippings off them or just let them get full of it? I guess it might add some flavor. How about using lava rocks like what is used in some gas grills?

Ok seached and found the answer to my noob question. Thanks for your time today Larry! I hope your brisket turned out well. Thanks again. Vince

Larry,

When you package your brisket to save do you just refrigerate it, or freeze it? How do you reheat it (or tell your customers to reheat it)?

Thanks!

Originally posted by a gampher:
Larry,

When you package your brisket to save do you just refrigerate it, or freeze it? How do you reheat it (or tell your customers to reheat it)?

Thanks!

After it is vacuum sealed it's frozen unless it will be consumed by the next day. Reheating is simple......place the frozen bag into a pot of cold water, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low and cover for 20 minutes. This is for a 2lb bag, so the reheating times will vary depending on the size of the bags.

This method works well for pulled pork, pulled chuck and pulled chicken as well.

Larry I have a question and then a comment/statement, are you useing lump or charcoal for your fuel source? I have notice on my last couple of smokes, useing the clay dish in water pan that even with all my bottom vent wide open my temps will hang around 240/250*. When I 1st started useing the clay dish and my smoker was still kind of new I would have to adjust my vents, could it be now that I have a ton of cooks on the smoker's that the build up from all the burn's are keeping the temps low? I have only been useing charcoal for my fuel source. I have 3 WSM and have notice that with all 3 of them. All comments or advice is welcome.

Dave

Impressive cook, Larry. Way to go.

I would venture a guess that foiling the flats may have prevented the burnt edges everyone's been asking about.

Originally posted by dave caston:
Larry I have a question and then a comment/statement, are you useing lump or charcoal for your fuel source? I have notice on my last couple of smokes, useing the clay dish in water pan that even with all my bottom vent wide open my temps will hang around 240/250*. When I 1st started useing the clay dish and my smoker was still kind of new I would have to adjust my vents, could it be now that I have a ton of cooks on the smoker's that the build up from all the burn's are keeping the temps low? I have only been useing charcoal for my fuel source. I have 3 WSM and have notice that with all 3 of them. All comments or advice is welcome.

Dave

Dave I use regular Original Kingsford 95% of the time.

A new shiny WSM may burn a few degrees hotter than one with some build up on it, but even with the build up you should be able to get past 300º with all of the vents open with no problem. Your briquettes may be a little dampness to them that could cause them to burn at a lower temperature. Is this happening with the same batch of charcoal or charcoal bought at a different time or place?

Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I would venture a guess that foiling the flats may have prevented the burnt edges everyone's been asking about.

It certainly helps, but after a couple hours of cooking there was enough shrinkage that brought the brisket in, away from the outter edges like seen in the beginning.

Back