28 lbs of Brisket on 1 WSM

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
I felt challenged today and really didn't feel like firing up 2 WSMs.....so I configured 4 - 7lb briskets on the top grate and my extension. After a couple hours of shrinkage they will fit fine. I could have put 2 more on the bottom grate and if I had another extender ring, 2 more. So you could realistically fit 8 brisket flats on 1 WSM. Have you hugged your WSM today??
icon_biggrin.gif

7-19-08034.jpg
7-19-08036-1.jpg
7-19-08039.jpg
7-19-08047.jpg
7-19-08048.jpg

Originally posted by craig castille:
Dang, looks nice.

Larry- do you get hotter edges on the top rack?

Craig, I'll let you know. I haven't cooked this much on the top rack before, so this cook will be the judge! I'll take a pic when I foil and we'll see!

Not that I'd ever need that much brisket, but that does look interesting to say the least.
When I feel challenged, I throw 3 hotdogs on instead of 2

Briskets hit 165º and had a good color so they're now foiled. Took about 4.5 hours to get to 165º, about average as they would if there was only one on the top grate. I thought with that much meat the cook time would be extended a bit.

7-19-08056.jpg
7-19-08058.jpg
7-19-08060.jpg

Originally posted by LarryR:
Damn Larry!! You're making me want to pull out the WSM. Are you doing high heat?

Thanks Larry! Nope, I'm cooking with a dome temp between 245º-260º. I'll pull in the 190-195º range.

Larry, I normally try to only reply if I have something helpful to add, but I gotta say..

YOU GO GIRL!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

(So sorry!
icon_smile.gif
)

Seriously, that's a small child's weight in beef cooking on a single WSM, and I'm in awe. It's all looking great so far... hope it all turns out perfect.

Happy cookin'

I was going to ask why you didnt put 2 upper and 2 lower, but now I see why...you just wanted to play with a toy. Much respects.

VWBB always pushing the edge.

Hey guys the briskets are done, sliced and in the fridge. They will be vacuum sealed and frozen in 2lb bags tomorrow. They are for customers. Next go around I'll add 2 more to the bottom grate!
icon_biggrin.gif

7-19-08062.jpg
7-19-08071.jpg
7-19-08073.jpg
7-19-08077.jpg
7-19-08080.jpg
7-19-08082.jpg
7-19-08085.jpg

Those briskets look great Larry. Nice moisture going on there.
icon_cool.gif
So what's for dinner?
icon_biggrin.gif
I love brisket and could eat it every weekend. I'm doing another one tomorrow. Not sharing this one with the guys at work though.
icon_wink.gif

With that much meat in there and adding two to the bottom grate, you aren't concerned about air flow? Not questioning one who knows, I'm just wondering. Looks great. I think I'll get ONE tomorrow myself.
Can you give me a brief rundown on your cutting, cooling, fridging and freezing procedure?

Larry,

Did you have to sit on the lid to get it around those briskets?
icon_wink.gif
..... could you tell me what I am looking at; specifically that ring?

Gary

Yeah, I was wondering how he covered the top.

I've got a small trimmed flat from Costco on now. It was a shame to see that they have carved off all the fat cap. The thing only weighs about 4lbs.

Originally posted by Dave/G:
With that much meat in there and adding two to the bottom grate, you aren't concerned about air flow? Not questioning one who knows, I'm just wondering. Looks great. I think I'll get ONE tomorrow myself.
Can you give me a brief rundown on your cutting, cooling, fridging and freezing procedure?

No, I'm not really worried about airflow by adding 2 more on the bottom. As long as you can get your hand in any area between the meat or walls, you're okay....

Nothing fancy about the prepping process. After I pull the meat from the cooker, I let rest foiled for a couple hours. Then open the foil to begin cooling for 30 minutes or so. Then slice, cool and load into the storage container and refridgerate overnight until time for vacuum sealing.

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
Larry,

Did you have to sit on the lid to get it around those briskets?
icon_wink.gif
..... could you tell me what I am looking at; specifically that ring?

Gary
The ring was made by a friend of a friend and I would love to have another one, but the guy will no longer make them!!

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
The ring was made by a friend of a friend and I would love to have another one, but the guy will no longer make them!!

Too bad... what a great way to add cooking capasity.

Gary

Larry,

Any edge burn? Doesn't look like it from the pics.

Forgive me for being so bold, but how much do you sell the briskets for? Just curious.........

Craig.

Wow, those look great Larry. I've yet to do a brisket with mine yet, but this sure is good motivation! For some reason I thought briskets needed a much longer cook time, so I'm pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise. Nice job!

Back