26.75" OTG Butterflied Fryers

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
It's been a while since I put any fryers on the grill, so I butterflied three 3.5 lb fryers and put some olive oil and Weber beercan seasoning on them. I grilled 'em offset (whole cook) beside a chimney's worth of Stubbs, vents 100% whole cook, bringing the temp up to about 400* on the lid gauge. Smoke provided by one chunk of pecan. After about half an hour, the temp started falling a bit so at about the :45 mark I poured on about a 1/3rd chimney of lit lump. The temp ran up to 425*+ for the duration of the 1.5 hr cook.

Almost done.

Pulled off at almost an hour and a half.

If you look closely, I tried the swimcap method with the middle bird, flipping at about 35 or 40 mins. into the cook. This was the first time I've ever tried it smoking fast, but to no surprise, the skin didn't end up quite as crisp on this bird. What was a surprise was that despite it's appearance, it cooked faster than the other two, and I should've pulled it off a bit sooner. (By the way, I swapped positions of the two on the outside when I flipped the middle bird over to skin up.) On all birds, the skin wasn't as crisp as I've gotten grilling offset on my 22.5" kettles with the lids pegging 450*.

So here's some takeaways from this cook:

Flipping evens and speeds cooking, but inhibits skin crispness some.
I'm not too wild about Weber beercan chicken seasoning.
I still wish the big OTG's vents were larger than the 22.5" OTG!
For big OTG kettle chicken cooks I need to air dry fryers in the fridge.
Jamie Purvience's white sauce recipe in Weber's "New Real Grilling" (p. 204) is fantastic on pulled chicken sammiches!

Back