250 or 350

Matt Biespiel

Now I'm totally confused. I've smoked many turkeys on my 18" weber smoker at between 225 and 250. They've all been outstanding. I've been reading this blog that says go hotter and shorter ie 350. Any reason to not go low and slow?

Lower temps usually lead to rubbery skin...higher helps crisp the skin.
If you brine, you'll be in great shape at 350. Careful with wood on poultry as a little goes a long way

LNS works great but many want to eat the skin so you have to cook hotter to get crispy skin to do that. Really it's your choice.

If the bird is large, running a L n S cook can cause it to take too long to get from 40*F or below to 140*F or above in less than 4 hrs. Running at oven temps 325-35*F will eliminate this danger.

I guess once you get out of the danger zone you could cut back on the heat.

Hi Matt and welcome aboard.
I always to try to cook chicken and turkey in the 350F range, I've had great results.

Ive not done one in my wsm yet, but in my brinkman id run 225 till i had about an hour left to cook, then id toss in some apple wood chunks and finish between 350 and 400. Skin would crisp up well enough, 1/2" thick smoke ring, and juicy as all getout. Brined for 18 hours or more

Back