25 pounds of pork butt

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was planning to cook a couple of butts this weekend (since they're in cryovac packs of two), but I found a single butt hiding behind some other stuff in the freezer. It has a sell-by date in June 2006. So I figure I better cook it ASAP. As a result, I'll be cooking 3 butts, totaling 25 pounds. I've never cooked more than two at a time. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? I know I'll have to give myself plenty of time.

Larry, I still consider myself a newbie at this, but have cooked as many six butts at one time. I wouldn't say you have any pitfalls to worry about (I would guess that with your experience, you have probably considered them all). I'd say additional time is a definite and refuel could be a possibility. Are you planning on cooking on both racks or are you going with all on one?

I agree with Donny - there's not a whole lot different with smoking 3 butts as opposed to 1 or 2. I've cooked 6 at a time as well with no issues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donny Anderson:
Are you planning on cooking on both racks or are you going with all on one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll probably use both. I normally cook two at a time, both on the top rack. So adding the third on the bottom should not be too different. I've got enough wireless thermometers to monitor the temp of all 3 at the same time, if necessary, so if the one on the bottom cooks a little faster, or slower, than the others - no problem. I'll probably start them Friday night and let them cook all night, and shoot for finishing sometime Saturday afternoon.

I start cooking at 10 or 11 for 1 to 2 butts, but I'd probably start at a 8 or 9 for 3 to 4 butts coming from my own experience. If you plan on foiling for a couple of hours, you might want to think about an earlier start.
I did a 10:00 start the first time I did six butts and they didn't get to 190 until 30 minutes before I had to serve them. I thought they came out ok I thought, but the "patrons" seemed to enjoy them.

I think my problem has solved itself. My wife and daughter want us to make sausage with one of the butts. So, I'll just be cooking the usual two on the WSM.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back