24 hour pork butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in London meat is cut differently, and if you walk into a butcher and ask for a pork butt they won't know what you mean. It took some describing and I still don't know what they're called over here, but I managed to get one last Saturday. I had the butcher cut it in half so it weighed about 6.5 lbs, as I was cooking for two (there was chicken going in as well for leftovers ... good use of fuel!).

I fired up the WSM with 5kg of unlit charcoal,
3 chunks of apple and ~30 lit briquettes.
Target temp: 100*C (212*F) lid temp.
The meat went in at 16:00 (chix and butt).
Chix breast out at 17:00.
The butt stayed naked 'til 1:00 am, then I double wrapped it in foil, and wen to bed.

At 9am the temp was down to 70*C (158*F) which is OK. A quick stir of the coals (good thing the butt was foiled!) and 30 minutes later the temp was 110*C and climbing.

Got it to stabalise at 110*C and went shopping.
I didn't get home until 16:00!
No problem, the WSM as just dipping under 100*C.

24 hours of continuous cooking!!

I let the pork rest in the oven for an hour then began to pull it. It was so tender that the bone itself was tender! You had to be careful not to pull off chunks of bone!

Has anyone else seen this happen with bones?

It was the most tender and tasty pork butt I have ever had, *and* it lost 700g of mass in the cooking process, I hope it was all fat!.

Just thought I would share my epic Q-ing experience, and let you know that a 24 hour cook is possible with the WSM!

cheers

morgan

The

yes, I've had a similiar experience with the bone softening (bad choice of words ?) in a very long cook. Makes it easier for my 14 yr old dog to chew.

Paul

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words when trying to get the right cut of meat. See Meat Cut Charts for several diagrams you can print-out and show to your butcher.

Regards,
Chris

Morgan,
24 Hours is very good going.

I assume you were using briquettes, which brand did you use?

I use generic Wilkinsons/Tesco/Asda brand, and prefer them in that order. But I notice they have a lot of filler - especially the last Asda lot.

I did 10 Hours the other day, no problem, but can't imagine it would go for 24 Hours.

Anyway, well done!

Rgds
-GM-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham M:
I assume you were using briquettes, which brand did you use?

I use generic Wilkinsons/Tesco/Asda brand
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's hard to get decent charcoal around here, it usually contains some sorta fibre and would fall apart if you drop it from more than a few centimetres.

I got a 24 hour burn using rubbish charcoal, but keeping the temp at a constant 100*C.

If I can find it I like the Tesco "Red White and Blue" bag which is "real" nice, smooth, no fibre and leaves a lovely white light ash.

And Chris:
I like talking to the butcher, but I *did* consider bringing in a meat chart. Those are different here too! Besides, we're good friends now.

all the best every one (my weekend starts Thursday nite -- ha ha ha)

morganism

Morgan,

I would be interested in seeing a UK version of a meat cut chart. Are there online references anywhere that you know of?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chet Johnson:
Morgan,

I would be interested in seeing a UK version of a meat cut chart. Are there online references anywhere that you know of? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Chet,
This is something I found at the University of Aberdeen, where some of the finest beef in the UK comes from. It's the Kobe beef of the UK.
primal cuts

There are surely others, but this one compares UK and US, so it is pertinent.

enjoy

morganism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back