22" WSM, Raising the Charcoal Grate up away from the vent tabs.

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Here's what I did. I bought 1/4" longer bolts, and 6 small nuts, same size as the ones that come with the WSM. I also bought 3 large 9/16" nuts that fit over the stock nuts. I threaded 2 of the small nuts onto the bolt and tacked the 2 small nuts together. Then I welded the small nuts to the big nut. Mount the longer bolts, same as you would through the legs and bowl using the flat washer and the stock small nut. Then just thread the welded set on and it gives you plenty of clearance away from the charcoal bowl vent tabs.

PSFSC-22WSM007.jpg

WDOBX-22WSM014.jpg

GTQYO-22WSM008.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon N.:
Nice job Bryan
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks but this is just temporary. I'll have my Bud at work make up some tricked out machined ones to screw onto the bolts, instead of the welded nuts. Might even sell some if enough are interrested.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon N.:
Nice job Bryan
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks but this is just temporary. I'll have my Bud at work make up some tricked out machined ones to screw onto the bolts, instead of the welded nuts. Might even sell some if enough are interrested.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok, here's a pic of the new ones. Very happy with this setup.
icon_biggrin.gif

WVEUV-22WSM.jpg

Good solution. I made up three light gauge angle brakets with holes drilled to mount on the lower door bolt. The brackets lift the grate approx 1/2" and it now clears fine.

I love my 22.5 and look forward to testing it this year in competition.

Lou from Fall City, WA

icon_biggrin.gif

WVEUV-22WSM.jpg

Pic showing the 1/4 inch longer SS bolt on bottom

P5280056.jpg

Pic showing machined part simply screwed on lower bolt

P5280057.jpg

I had planned to do this yesterday but I (through no fault of my own) grabbed a handfull of 1/4X1" course thread bolts and a handfull of 1/4" fine thread nuts.

So, what I did was use the middle cooking grate which fits perfectly above the vents. Put the charcoal grate on top of that at a 90* angle and the charcoal basket. I have not had to add or fiddle with anything! I'm getting full air and easy control.

I just got my new 22.5 and I need to do something like this -- it's disappointing this issue wasn't caught when they were designing the new unit!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Nice job Bryan
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif

WVEUV-22WSM.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice...I plan to make a few of these at the shop for my new 22 that is coming Wednesday. Would you mind sharing the dimensions? They look like they might be 1 inch in diameter and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. I'm assuming they are tapped 1/4-20...

JD

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J D McGee:
Would you mind sharing the dimensions? They look like they might be 1 inch in diameter and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. I'm assuming they are tapped 1/4-20...

JD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
JD, It is 1 1/2" round stock. They are 5/8" thick, and yes tapped for 1/4-20 thread.

Back