22.5 WSM Assembly Observations

Mike Newhouse

TVWBB Fan
The unit arrived Tuesday and today I found an opportunity to assemble it. The process went exactly as I expected based on Chris' video.

1. I was not surprised to see the door was bent. It may have been formed to the correct radius at one point in time but now appeares to have been pushed in where the latch attaches. I adjusted it and it seems to fit better, but a smoke test is required.

2. I was slightly disappointed with the handles. Not that there is anything functionally wrong with them, they just seem cheap. This may be a case of unrealistic expectations on my part.

3. I was very pleased to discover my worst fear was not the case. Upon visual inspection, all three sections appear to fit perfectly. I was very worried about the 'out-of-round' condition.

So all in all I am still pleased with my decision. I still have about half of the 18# brisket I did Monday on my old Char-Griller Duo in the ice box, so I'll have to test drive the WSM with something different ... Baby backs are always good! :)

Glad you got it and overall it went as you expected. Baby backs are great to break in that's bad boy!

Well to an untrained eye the quality right out of the box might not be breath-takin.(everything is shiny from the box)

But 10-20 years from now is when WEBER smoke the competition
icon_smile.gif

Congrats to the new toy!

Mike-

Put my 22.5 last week as well and had the same door issue. Had to bend it a little bit and it's pretty flush to the unit now. Don't think it will be too much of a problem.

I know this point has been hammered, but you would think that weber might address the door issue with something a bit more solid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig hess:
Mike-

Put my 22.5 last week as well and had the same door issue. Had to bend it a little bit and it's pretty flush to the unit now. Don't think it will be too much of a problem.

I know this point has been hammered, but you would think that weber might address the door issue with something a bit more solid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed ... on both points. If the door is in fact a problem, thanks to the folks here I know where I can get an upgrade. ;-)

Back