2024 Iowa State Championship

That’s the plan! Now, if I could only find an accountant to help me hide all of those winnings! 🤣
I’m here for you. First thing is you pick up any and all receipts at the competition. And the next bit of advice: S Corporation 👍🏻

Good luck, looks like a big comp.
Is there going to be television crew bouncing around this one.....you know for future tv series or something?

We finished 18th last weekend out of 47 talented teams! The judges weren’t as impressed with our ribs as we were as they came in at 25th. We changed up our chicken recipe and it has improved. Overall, we were pleased with our cook.
IMG_5769.jpegIMG_5771.jpegIMG_5766.jpeg
IMG_5738.jpegIMG_5778.jpeg

IMG_5789.jpeg

For those new to the score sheets, it is judged on a weighted value of Appearance, Taste, and Tenderness, with 9 being the highest. The lowest score among the 6 judges is dropped and the total score is determined based on the top 5. We just missed 17th place by 2 hundredths of a point! They got our KCBS number correct, but misspelled our team name…. Next stop, Lebanon, TN!

Attachments

• IMG_5778.png
    IMG_5778.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5738.jpeg
    IMG_5738.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 2
Congratulations James and Team Two Sauced Guys !!!
Quick question, if I might... Were the ribs from the same rack ? Somehow, the back left rib appears to me to have a different surface texture than the rest. Based on the scores... And Thank You for including that !!! It looks like texture / tenderness might be the cuprit. Just guessing !

Quick question, if I might... Were the ribs from the same rack ? Somehow, the back left rib appears to me to have a different surface texture than the rest. Based on the scores... And Thank You for including that !!! It looks like texture / tenderness might be the cuprit. Just guessing !
I noticed that, too. When you you use multiple racks of ribs to build your box, texture and/or tenderness may have a tendency to suffer between judges at the same table. Appearance of both your ribs and chicken is excellent, but I'm an easy grader. If I want to grab it out of the box when it's being shown for appearance, it's a 9 in my book.

IMG_5761.jpeg
Thanks for your input.
I cooked 4 racks all from Wichita Packing in Chicago. I tasted all 4 and chose the best 2 for tenderness. The back row is all from one rack and front row is from the other. They are the 4 center bones next to each other from each rack. The temps when I pulled them were 203-208 and they had a nice probe and bend. They rested in the Cambro still wrapped but opened for about an hour before I sliced them. They still felt good at that time. I dipped them in a heated sauce, hit them with a finishing dust, and put the chosen 8 back on for about 10 minutes before we boxed them. Overall, I really wouldn’t have changed much.

I noticed that, too. When you you use multiple racks of ribs to build your box, texture and/or tenderness may have a tendency to suffer between judges at the same table. Appearance of both your ribs and chicken is excellent, but I'm an easy grader. If I want to grab it out of the box when it's being shown for appearance, it's a 9 in my book.
Thanks Mark. I do use 2 racks to build the box, so I run that risk like you mentioned. I cook 4 and choose the 2 that I feel to be similar. This time it didn't turn out as well as expected. :)

Thanks Mark. I do use 2 racks to build the box, so I run that risk like you mentioned. I cook 4 and choose the 2 that I feel to be similar. This time it didn't turn out as well as expected. :)
I did the same thing when I competed. It’s a delicate balance between building the box for appearance and putting the best tasting and best texture ribs in the box. As you said, each judging category is weighted, so I always tried to put the best tasting meats in my turn-in boxes. An 8 for appearance doesn’t hurt you as badly as an 8 for taste or texture.

congrats....ribs look vey tasty....these never come from my house.
Are you cooling them off considerably before cutting? This is the only thing that makes me think they come out looking perfect like that.

congrats....ribs look vey tasty....these never come from my house.
Are you cooling them off considerably before cutting? This is the only thing that makes me think they come out looking perfect like that.
No, they are still hot. I wear cotton glove liners under the disposable nitrile gloves to handle them. I slice them meat side down so I can see the bones better and make straight cuts. I dip them in a heated sauce that has been thinned out so they have more of a shine and no brush marks. I also have a super sharp set of knifes. ;)

Back