2008 Weber Genesis Sidewinder Restoration

Rafael Mar

Hey guys new, member here.

Recently i picked up a 2008 Weber Genesis sidewinder from my neighbor for free. Pretty much a dumpster dive find as i grabbed it the minute he wheeled it out of the garage for disposal. Im pretty stoked since this is going to be my first gasser. However, it looks like it will require some elbow grease to get it there.

Upon further inspection, cleaning and disassembly I discovered the following:

The bad:
  1. Faded hood - unfortunately the grill suffers from the dreaded faded hood syndrome. It does not seem too bad. However, being a little OCD I’ll be looking into replacement options. I’m hoping that maybe i can come across a spare eventually.
  2. Hood rust - it seems theres a little bit of rust in a handle area. What would be the best way to prevent it from spreading further? See pics.
  3. Hood handle chrome finish - one of the grill handle end caps started to peel. What would be the best way to fix it? I started looking into replacement part options. See pics
  4. Firebox burner screws - i managed to remove one of the screws and 2 burners. However, the remaining burner and 2 screws seem to be pretty burnt up and stuck in the firebox. They’ve been soaked in WD40 for a while. Ill try to get at them tomorrow. Is there another way i should go about removal?
  5. Burner support nut - during a disassembly of the burner support rack i managed to break off one of the screws. Is drilling it out the best way to remove it?
  6. Burners - the burners work and emit a nice blue flame with some orange mixed in. However, based on the pics below and condition should i be looking into replacement?
  7. Grates - too rusted out. They’ve been thrown out and ill be looking into a new set shortly. Recommendations are welcomed.
  8. Falvor bars - similar to above. Too rusted out. Looking into a new set. Recommendations are welcomed.
  9. Side panel - there’s a few rust spots on the panel next to vent holes. See pics. What would be the best way to fix this issue. Based on my search im thinking of removing the paint, scrapping away the rust, spraying it down with a rust converter, prime, sand and paint. I just got an HF angle grinder. Nonetheless, run time on a 6 gallon pancake compressor seems rather short.
  10. Bottom panel - this panel seems pretty rotted as per usual in this series of grills based on site research. Based on lack of knowledge and limited experience working with metal would that portion of the grill be salvageable or should i be looking into replacement? Please see pics
  11. Casters - it looks like ill need at least 2 based on wear. Pics included
  12. Igniter - the igniter was not operational. Looking into igniter kits. They dont seem too expensive.
  13. Frame - few rust spots that seem fixable and surface down in the tubes. What would be the best way of cleaning this up and preventing future build up?
  14. Firebox - general clean up awaiting with degreaser and grinder

Based on the following write up and pictures would you recommend giving a restoration a shot? I dont really have a budget for this project but would like to keep the costs down on the cheap side.

In addition, Im in the process of setting up my garage / man cave and im looking at different tools to add to my collection, grinders, sanders, etc. Currently im highly conflicted between air vs electric. Any insight, advantages/ disadvantages would be appreciated.

As for the grill this is going to be a family patio grill and the first gasser i ever owned. Other than that i have 3 other weber grills / smokers which are all charcoal.

Any recommendations and tips are welcomed.
Thanks for your help.

1BA0ED67-DDE7-4835-827D-8FC860A1176A.jpeg7D50CDEA-90EC-43F6-AE14-522CCA9B0293.jpeg560341F6-7083-4293-B32C-FD31762DAA0E.jpeg3693DF06-F861-4144-8976-8365B567C1A7.jpeg35EC6A33-172C-4CAB-8F5C-7D469D78DBDD.jpeg

Attachments

• BC61BF65-B248-4F01-9916-00D801AE61F6.jpeg
    BC61BF65-B248-4F01-9916-00D801AE61F6.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 18
  • D6738369-4272-49CA-B047-6A0781E05164.jpeg
    D6738369-4272-49CA-B047-6A0781E05164.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 7DEA5E43-23C1-4A82-AFC6-62C3E7764488.jpeg
    7DEA5E43-23C1-4A82-AFC6-62C3E7764488.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DD7EA118-30F0-4A9F-819A-02074FE9C80E.jpeg
    DD7EA118-30F0-4A9F-819A-02074FE9C80E.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 5D0051B1-53F8-4DFD-A5F9-6116DE10FC0B.jpeg
    5D0051B1-53F8-4DFD-A5F9-6116DE10FC0B.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 19
  • 55F4F7F0-2E47-4E63-ACBE-C5854FBD9CF7.jpeg
    55F4F7F0-2E47-4E63-ACBE-C5854FBD9CF7.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 01D05715-9CC0-4610-A3E2-2E20E599ADBB.jpeg
    01D05715-9CC0-4610-A3E2-2E20E599ADBB.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 59751C87-133F-4FF8-9F7A-42142B298077.jpeg
    59751C87-133F-4FF8-9F7A-42142B298077.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 25
  • CD7C39A9-2892-44BC-8E60-38339590F919.jpeg
    CD7C39A9-2892-44BC-8E60-38339590F919.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 59D70C46-07EF-4172-A0F6-EF7C6B936709.jpeg
    59D70C46-07EF-4172-A0F6-EF7C6B936709.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 311DD2AF-9D76-4CB8-AA8B-9048B564E0AD.jpeg
    311DD2AF-9D76-4CB8-AA8B-9048B564E0AD.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 21
Hey guys new, member here.

Recently i picked up a 2008 Weber Genesis sidewinder from my neighbor for free. Pretty much a dumpster dive find as i grabbed it the minute he wheeled it out of the garage for disposal. Im pretty stoked since this is going to be my first gasser. However, it looks like it will require some elbow grease to get it there.

Upon further inspection, cleaning and disassembly I discovered the following:

The bad:
  1. Faded hood - unfortunately the grill suffers from the dreaded faded hood syndrome. It does not seem too bad. However, being a little OCD I’ll be looking into replacement options. I’m hoping that maybe i can come across a spare eventually.
Make sure it is really fade and not just dirt. DO a good cleaning with some cleaner and #0000 steel wool.
  1. Hood rust - it seems theres a little bit of rust in a handle area. What would be the best way to prevent it from spreading further? See pics.
  1. Hood handle chrome finish - one of the grill handle end caps started to peel. What would be the best way to fix it? I started looking into replacement part options. See pics
Generally, people paint them. Gloss black works nice. High heat.
  1. Firebox burner screws - i managed to remove one of the screws and 2 burners. However, the remaining burner and 2 screws seem to be pretty burnt up and stuck in the firebox. They’ve been soaked in WD40 for a while. Ill try to get at them tomorrow. Is there another way i should go about removal?
They are not supposed to be removed. THey are place holders. I know, it is a bolt, but they are not supposed to be removed.
  1. Burner support nut - during a disassembly of the burner support rack i managed to break off one of the screws. Is drilling it out the best way to remove it?
I would drill it out.
  1. Burners - the burners work and emit a nice blue flame with some orange mixed in. However, based on the pics below and condition should i be looking into replacement?
I would not replace them. Some yellow/orange flame is fine. Unless they are cracked or have holes, just clean them up well and use them.
  1. Grates - too rusted out. They’ve been thrown out and ill be looking into a new set shortly. Recommendations are welcomed.
A good set of solid rod Stainless steel. there are a lot of good value aftermarket solutions on Amazon. 7mm minimum rod size.
  1. Falvor bars - similar to above. Too rusted out. Looking into a new set. Recommendations are welcomed.
Same deal on the flavo bars. You want stainless steel and 16 gauge minimum. Don't go with 18 or 20 gauge.
  1. Side panel - there’s a few rust spots on the panel next to vent holes. See pics. What would be the best way to fix this issue. Based on my search im thinking of removing the paint, scrapping away the rust, spraying it down with a rust converter, prime, sand and paint. I just got an HF angle grinder. Nonetheless, run time on a 6 gallon pancake compressor seems rather short.
If you are talking about the lid end caps or the shelf caps, they are aluminum and will not rust. However, the paint will peal and you might find some oxidation on the exposed aluminum. If bad enough, grind them clean and repaint with a high heat paint.

1. Bottom panel - this panel seems pretty rotted as per usual in this series of grills based on site research. Based on lack of knowledge and limited experience working with metal would that portion of the grill be salvageable or should i be looking into replacement? Please see pics
If it isn't too bad and the rust is just surface rust and not through the panel, then you can grind out the rust and repaint. I think a new one is about $100. But if the side panels are in tough shape, it isn't cost effective to replace them.
  1. Casters - it looks like ill need at least 2 based on wear. Pics included
Should be able to buy new or find used.
  1. Igniter - the igniter was not operational. Looking into igniter kits. They dont seem too expensive.
GO with aftermarket. Weber OE is too expensive.
  1. Frame - few rust spots that seem fixable and surface down in the tubes. What would be the best way of cleaning this up and preventing future build up?
get it as clean as you can and that would be fine unless the grill will spend a lot of time out doors uncovered. If so, you can spray it with some rust preventative/encapsulator like Por15 or Eastwood. They come with long straws for the nozzel that will get into the frame tubes pretty good.
  1. Firebox - general clean up awaiting with degreaser and grinder
If you want to go the totally clean down to bare aluminum route, the grinder with a wire wheel will work. BUt, if it was me and it was a personal keeper grill, I would just scrape it out with a putty knife and then maybe scrub it a bit with household steel wool and grill cleaner. It will look like it was never cleaned after few cooks anyway.
Based on the following write up and pictures would you recommend giving a restoration a shot? I dont really have a budget for this project but would like to keep the costs down on the cheap side.
If the cabinet is not a cancer ward, then it would be a good candidate for rehabbing.
In addition, Im in the process of setting up my garage / man cave and im looking at different tools to add to my collection, grinders, sanders, etc. Currently im highly conflicted between air vs electric. Any insight, advantages/ disadvantages would be appreciated.
A good electric angle grinder. A sander might be needed. Drill driver/impact driver. Unless you have access to a capable compressor, electric or battery powered is the way to go IMO.
As for the grill this is going to be a family patio grill and the first gasser i ever owned. Other than that i have 3 other weber grills / smokers which are all charcoal.

Any recommendations and tips are welcomed.
Thanks for your help.

Wow, I have a 2006 Sidewinder Special Edition that I need to do a rust check on. I say this every year....;)
Other than changing out the large slide in drip tray and some better SS grates it's all original and works like a charm.

Some really good information here.. Thanks Bruce.

6leCF3MKTaigPilA%9vI6g.jpg

Great, thorough reply, Bruce! What more can be said? These are really cool grills - much better than the later ones with front controls and short burners going front to back. However, rust has a persistent problem and when extensive it can make rehabbing prohibitively expensive.

Last edited:
Good going on it Bruce. Unsure why (since it's a keeper) you did not mention our friend Dave Santana and his outstanding line of grates and bars.

Good going on it Bruce. Unsure why (since it's a keeper) you did not mention our friend Dave Santana and his outstanding line of grates and bars.
No, I didn't mention Dave. It just gets way too long a response to mention all the options. If Rafael wants top quality grates and flavorizer bars, then Dave would be the way to go, but at 3 times the price of a good set of 7mm grates, it is like buying a cadillac. We all want one, but 80% of us wind up with the Chevy Malibu.

If anyone cares to contact Dave Santana (RCPlanebuyer), use this craigslist link to find one of his listings. Contact via email through the listing and tell him what you need. He will get back to you with a quote for the parts you need.

Thanks for all the replies and information guys.
Bruce, that response was on point, thank you. I’ll be looking into Dave’s grates.
In regards to flavorizer bars is it worth the investment similar to grates or should i just go with a cheaper option? In addition, porcelain coated or stainless steel? Which one would last longer and perform better?
Also would these type of upgrades be worth it on this grill?
Im also looking to add a rotisserie. Would that be a good move or just a waste of $$?
Sorry about all the questions. However, since you guys are the pros i figured i just ask away.
Thanks guys.

Bruce, that response was on point, thank you. I’ll be looking into Dave’s grates.
In regards to flavorizer bars is it worth the investment similar to grates or should i just go with a cheaper option? In addition, porcelain coated or stainless steel? Which one would last longer and perform better?
Im also looking to add a rotisserie. Would that be a good move or just a waste of $$?
Sorry about all the questions. However, since you guys are the pros i figured i just ask away.
Thanks guys.
The cost for the Flavorizer bars isn't too bad. Ask him to give you a quote and then compare with choices on Amazon. But, I definitely recommend stainless steel. 304 stainless if possible and always 16 gauge. Daves are 304 SS 16 gauge but you should be able to find options on Amazon less expensive. They may be 430 stainless, they are still good for flavorizer bars.

Flavorizer bars are not too big a deal. The lighter gauge ones are bad because they burn though easily, and don't hold and distribute the heat as well. Grates though are what you actually "touch" every time you use the grill. They determine how pleasant the grill is to use. Thing flimsy ones, with too wide spacing allow smaller foods to drop through, don't hold food up properly (especially if you grill fish), good solid heavy grates are just far more pleasant to use. And IMO 7mm are not all that good. Dave uses actual good thick (9mm 3/8") solid 304SS rods. Yeah they cost a LITTLE more than the Amazon stuff (IIRC he charges about $125 for them), but it's $$$ well spent. They will last until they're being handed down to your great great grandchildren. Easy to clean, non reactive, and wonderful to use. Plus you're keeping a US small business going rather than some slave factory in china

Thanks guys.
Rafael, I love my rotisserie for roasts, chickens and turkeys. If just doing chicken and roasts the Weber one is strong enough but if you are thinking larger turkeys then I would look at the OneGrill brand. It has a more powerful motor and a thicker rod. Looks like you have a good rehab candidate there. Keep us posted with pics as you go.

If you want to get into grilling with a Weber Genesis, I definitely recommend a rotisserie. I have one of each of the style made back in the day. The #9890 and #9891. The #9891 is the basket style. The #9890 is the traditional skewer style. I much prefer the #9890. But both are good rotisseries. I have done a couple 16 lb turkeys on mine and I don't find that it struggles for power at all.

Unless you have the newer Genesis style ones with front controls. Then don't waste your money or time with a rotisserie

Rafael: You've got a good grill there which will serve you well for years. Only big thing to keep ahead of is rust in the bottom panel and the side frames where it meets that panel. Several members have tips on how to deal with that. Rust was the only real weakness for this series from 2007 thru 2010. All parts are interchangeable for 2008-2010 and the 2007 is only slightly different. Happy grilling once you get it back together. If the valves are stiff, there also is a great how to video done by Chris.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The grill is broken down to basics now and it doesnt look too bad.
I used an HF grinder to grind down some of the more rusted out areas and it looks like theres solid metal underneath. It took a while to get there with a 6 gallon pancake compressor. However, seeing how i dont have any other projects that would require a major grinding time i figured a bigger compressor / electric grinder can wait.

For the exposed / cleaned up areas ill use a rust converter and then prime and paint the panels / frame. What paint / primer would you guys recommend?

In addition, i did notice some oxidation after a day or two on the exposed metal areas. Im wondering if i should seal these now or can this job wait until spring when it finally warms up? My garage is not heated.

I also reached out to Dave. The price of the flavorizer bars is not bad and im sure they are top quality as such ill be getting them. Im still going back and forth on the grates. They are a little more expensive than expected. However, if i can find a clean hood, without the dreaded fade, than I’ll definitely get them since at that point ill be keeping this grill for years to come.

Based on the replies ill be looking into a rotisserie kit.

I guess its time to put together a parts list.

In regards to replacement screws, washers and other hardware is there a guide one can use in order to determine size and quantity or your local hardware store and a handful of rusted out bolts is the best recourse?

Below you’ll find some more pics of the bottom panel.

Thanks guys! Your input is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 04B2932E-305A-4903-8DE2-9CA08D0DB559.jpeg
    04B2932E-305A-4903-8DE2-9CA08D0DB559.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 17
  • CE82DFD5-F330-47B7-85C7-F9584283AC97.jpeg
    CE82DFD5-F330-47B7-85C7-F9584283AC97.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 4B50A45B-7FA2-44A9-92F6-EF087C03C9C0.jpeg
    4B50A45B-7FA2-44A9-92F6-EF087C03C9C0.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 17
I hate rust. If I were you, I would try to get at least a primer coat on the bare metal now or it will likely need all new grinding in the spring. Maybe bring the pieces inside, let them warm up along with the primer, then take them out and spray them quick and bring them back in and hang in the basement or something until they dry. I have done that with smaller pieces.

Back