2008 Genesis E-310 Restoration

ChrisHolden

Hi from the UK!

I've recently picked up a 2008 E-310. This is my first gas Weber and is also going to be my first restoration.

As you'll see from the pictures there is some corrosion however i've stripped the frame already which is being blasted ready for repainting this week. I'm keeping the grill to use myself however i want to return it to as near new as possible. The grates have come up ok, i've already got some new burners to go on along with new SS flavouriser bars. It's also in need of some new casters so i've got some replacements along with a replacement Weber badge.

Below are a few pictures from picking it up and from taking it apart. You'll see there is a little corrosion in the usual places. I was actually surprised as to how good it was as it's been stored outside for the past 12 years!

Any advise/feedback on the restoration is welcome :)

IMG_3143.jpegIMG_3147.jpegIMG_3148.jpegIMG_3223.jpegIMG_3216.jpeg

Chris: Welcome. If your 2008 is like the ones in the US any parts from 2008-2010 model years will fit yours. I have 2007 models which have different manifolds and igniter systems. All other 2007 parts will fit. If you search on the board for "sidewinders" and E-310 Genesis you will find loads of info. Biggest issue with them are the enclosed cabinets and rust. You show it in the photo of the caster. Bottom panels are notorious for rusting out. If your valves seem sticky, there is a great video here on cleaning and lubricating them. Enjoy!

I did not know the 2007 manifold was different than the 2008-2010. What did Weber do to change them up and why?

Hi Bruce:
The 2007 manifold just had two bolts to the firebox and a cross piece under the valves to support the manifold. Separate ignitor in a gas catcher. 2008-2010 manifolds had no cross piece, but had wings that slide into the frame crossmembers plus the two bolts to the firebox. Perhaps a design tweak to make it more solid. Also the igniter moved onto the front burner. The newer manifolds will work on a 2007 if the wings are removed. I think all other parts are identical 2007-2010.

Hmmm, I would have to see that to really understand it. Is the 2007 in some way defective to the point that Weber would want to change it up so much after only one year?

Hi Bruce:
I don't think defective is the right word. If I recall from other posts the valve end of earlier model grills were supported by hangers. The 2007 with the cross bracket did have a little give to it when you pushed down on the valve knobs. Going to the wings that sit in slits in the front and rear frame seems more solid plus it eliminates a couple of parts for assembly. Here is a photo of a wing from another post in the forum: https://tvwbb.com/attachments/w3-jpg.9379/ 2007 only had the square manifold without the wings.

Hi Bruce:
I don't think defective is the right word. If I recall from other posts the valve end of earlier model grills were supported by hangers. The 2007 with the cross bracket did have a little give to it when you pushed down on the valve knobs. Going to the wings that sit in slits in the front and rear frame seems more solid plus it eliminates a couple of parts for assembly. Here is a photo of a wing from another post in the forum: https://tvwbb.com/attachments/w3-jpg.9379/ 2007 only had the square manifold without the wings.
Ok. Not worthy of a recall then. Haha
Thanks Dan for the explanation.

Bruce:

Nawh, not until somebody goes for "more power" drilling out the orifices for conversion! I've learned an awful lot from you, Larry, Jon, Rich and others in the past couple of years. I will stay with the 13 year old Genesis, not the new stuff probably for as long as I'm still kicking. I gifted my son a 2007 that I refurbed and hooked up for him to his house LP supply. He is a believer now too.

PS: Happy Holidays to all you guys too!

Merry Christmas Dan and the rest of the list.

I totally agree that a well refurbed classic Genesis is superior to a new Genesis II. Don't get me wrong though. If someone give me a choice of the two, I will take the Genesis II. Then I will sell it and rehab me another personal classic genesis if I need one and pocket the savings.
While I prefer the Classic B's and C's and 1000-5000 grills over the early E3xx generation, I still think the early 3xx grills are still much better than the new ones. If they had a good open cart version of the E3xx design, then that would be awesome.

+ 1 Dan on hanging on to the older genesis grills my 2009 sidewinder E320 we've had for six years still has all it's original parts and still looks and cooks like new, same with my 1998 genesis 2000. Hopefully the 1985 Genesis 2 will be restored this spring and join other two senior Weber's.
Merry Christmas to you Dan and and all of the Weber family here on the forum.

Hmmm, I would have to see that to really understand it. Is the 2007 in some way defective to the point that Weber would want to change it up so much after only one year?
i have one i am going to flip i can take a picture if you would like to see what the setup looks like

Nah, you would have to pull the valve cover and stuff. Just knowing there is a difference is good info though.

Here's the 2007 assembly .pdf that shows the bracket in step 13. Manifold has no wings unlike 2008 forward and has a gas collector unlike the newer models with the igniter on the front burner itself.

Attachments

Just a quick update.

I wanted to try and clean my cook box as best i could so i tried a local guy who does Vapour blasting. It seems to have done a pretty job at cleaning up the box but sadly it didn't really touched the paint on the outside of the box so i've taken it to a friend who is sand blasting it today.

Pic below is what it looked like when i collected it from the vapour blaster.

IMG_3249.JPG

I was also going to get the frame and panels blasted but they advised against it as they said it was likely the panels could be damaged (warped) so i'm opting to sand them down before i paint them.

Just got back from picking up the new paint for the frame and some VHT Fire proof paint for the outside of the cook box and the sides of the lid.

Painting should be done for the first week in the new year!

New parts so far -

New flavouriser bars
New burner tubes
New Weber emblem
New wheels
New door magnets

Its my intention to keep the grill for myself and seeing as i got it for £100 I haven't been too bothered with having to buy new parts.

Just picked the box up from the sand blaster, super happy with the result!

The inside will be left bare as per the recommendation from a number of threads i've read on here.

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

Yah, I didn't think that vapor blasting was bad at all. It looked like it did a fine job even on the outside of the cook box which you are going to repaint any way. As far as the inside of the cook box goes, I wouldn't have bothered to blast that at all and certainly the inside was done by vapor blasting quite well in my opinion for a keeper grill. For a rehab/flip grill, the sand blasting would be much better.
Keep going and keep posting. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Back