2008 Genesis E-310 Restoration

Yah, I didn't think that vapor blasting was bad at all. It looked like it did a fine job even on the outside of the cook box which you are going to repaint any way. As far as the inside of the cook box goes, I wouldn't have bothered to blast that at all and certainly the inside was done by vapor blasting quite well in my opinion for a keeper grill. For a rehab/flip grill, the sand blasting would be much better.
Keep going and keep posting. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.
Thanks Bruce, i totally get why most wouldn't bother with the inside as a keeper however as a former car detailer i can be a little OCD. I really like the older Genesis and having not been in a position to buy one 12 years ago when they were new I'd like to restore this one to as near new as i can, or at least until the first cook!

Its fair to say i've definitely got the bug for rehabbing grills as i've already been looking for others to flip. There's certainly not the number of grills available pre owned in the UK as there is in the US however I've seen a couple of Silvers for something like £20 which maybe worth a go.

You will find plenty of help and advice on this forum if you do find some grills to rehab and flip.
Good luck with the current one.

I'm guessing the cast sides are removable from the lid?

Looking at the lid it's just the star nuts which are screwed into the cast sides, is this correct?

I've decided to remove them (if i can) and get them blasted so i can repaint the same as the box.

Is there anything I need to be careful of if you can take the sides off the lid?

Been a while since I took an E3xx lid apart, but yah, just remove the star bolts and that chrome stripping will come off and the side caps will then come off. It may have some high heat silicone sealing the gap between the lid and end caps that will stick however.

Been a while since I took an E3xx lid apart, but yah, just remove the star bolts and that chrome stripping will come off and the side caps will then come off. It may have some high heat silicone sealing the gap between the lid and end caps that will stick however.

Can this silicone be replaced? and if so, do you have any recomomendations?

Thanks, I can see that i can get something similar in the UK on Amazon.

What temperature rating is yours? The one in the UK is 650f, will this be adequate?
Hi 650F should be adequate. Your endcaps don't get too hot as they are quite a distance from the burners. The endcaps are "cooled" by the air outside the grill.

Yep, I use the stuff to hold on the WEBER logo badges on the lids after I clean them up. Easier than replacing the push nuts that hold them on. No problems with those at all. The stuff I use is also rated at 650. The rating is based on gasket use such as in automobile engines. There is no real pressure or chemicals that the silicone is exposed to with the grills so this stuff should be just fine. I think it is probably the exact same stuff weber uses on new grills.

Is that vapor blasting the same as dry ice?
No it's different to dry ice. The abrasive media is blasted with high pressure water rather than the usual high pressure air.

Things have stalled a bit these past few days. I've decided i'm not happy with the colour of the high temp paint i've got so have been looking for suitable alternatives. I'm confident i've found a suitable alternative which is a closer match to the original colour.

I've also run into a little issue regarding the frame. I've found a potential donor grill as i'm not sure about the lower left leg as there's a spot where its starting to rust through!

That is interesting. Like a pressure washer/sand blaster hybrid.
Yes basically, it leaves a much smoother finish than sandblasting so is kinder on more delicate areas, the only trade off it isn't as effective at removing stubborn powder coat etc.

I'm hoping to get the sides removed from the lid tomorrow however i've decided not to blast these until i'm happy i've found a suitable paint supplier with the right colour or as close to. I've found this place which is actually only 10 minutes from where i live... https://thermacure.co.uk/products/ I'm thinking of going with the mid grey (UK Spelling ;-) Although i'm going to take down the lid so i can get the closest match. All perhaps a little excessive however i'm trying to restore as near original as I can.

I have found on the E3XX grills that the end caps are usually in fairly decent shape and just need a good cleaning

Yes basically, it leaves a much smoother finish than sandblasting so is kinder on more delicate areas, the only trade off it isn't as effective at removing stubborn powder coat etc.

I'm hoping to get the sides removed from the lid tomorrow however i've decided not to blast these until i'm happy i've found a suitable paint supplier with the right colour or as close to. I've found this place which is actually only 10 minutes from where i live... https://thermacure.co.uk/products/ I'm thinking of going with the mid grey (UK Spelling ;-) Although i'm going to take down the lid so i can get the closest match. All perhaps a little excessive however i'm trying to restore as near original as I can.
Hi Chris, I am also in the UK and interested in your progress. What paint did you end up selecting for the firebox and frame?

Back